Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

In ground sprinkler basics - rainbird's rain curtain

Old 04-28-15, 12:23 PM

I had a 50 head system installed by a 'pro'. I paid him so I guess that makes him a pro. but beyond that, I have little faith in him / had an argument with him and not going to have him back (a key think I was worried about was that I have an aerator for my lawn tractor. as long as I avoid the heads, are the pipes deep enough? He told me yes... then I found a 3' length that was barely buried / visible on the surface. so if he can't get my main concern dealt with, what else did he screw up? ANyway....

He used rainbird 5000 heads. they have 'rain curtain' technology?

Rain Bird

So based on that concept, it seems like if I put cups 5' 10' 15' 20' 25' away from a head, they should have similar amounts of water? Is that true?

'Cause I am not seeing that. Far away gets much more water.

There's a 'distance' screw at the top. I can adjust that and would likely help but at the expense of distance. but is that what's needed?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-15, 12:26 PM
In ground sprinkler basics - should heads be near the street aimed into lawn?

I have a 50 head system installed by a 'pro'. I paid him so I guess that makes him a pro. but beyond that, I have little faith in him / had an argument with him and not going to have him back (a key think I was worried about was that I have an aerator for my lawn tractor. as long as I avoid the heads, are the pipes deep enough? He told me yes... then I found a 3' length that was barely buried / visible on the surface. so if he can't get my main concern dealt with, what else did he screw up? ANyway....

Are the heads supposed to be near the street shooting into the lawn? Or more in the middle of the lawn shooting towards the street? They are about 1 - 2' from the street aiming towards the middle of the lawn. So there's 1 - 2' behind the heads that don't get water. he said its unavoidable - closer to the street (we don't have a curb / belgium blocks - the grass just ends and pavement starts) and he said they would be more likely to get driven over / chewed up by snow plows.

your thoughts?

Old 04-28-15, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... the heads should be by the road pointing in. If you had curbing the heads would be mounted at the curb edge. His installing them in one to two feet is the proper way to do it to protect them from being run over.

As far as the coverage..... there are changeable nozzles that are based on system pressure x distance. It's quite possible the installer didn't use the proper nozzles.

rainbird/documents/turf/man_5000_5000Plus_PRS.pdf

Old 04-29-15, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
I have a very tiny, highly manicured section of lawn with a two zone system and 15 heads. I can attest that getting even coverage is difficult. It can be gotten pretty good but not perfect. All of my heads are located at the very edge of the lawn and those near the pavement have the pop-up body literally touching the concrete so they can spray outward toward the lawn.

If you have lines visible at the surface and possibly poorly located heads then it is possible you have an installation issue. Have you paid the person who did the work? Are they a reputable landscape contractor, plumber or someone experienced installing irrigation systems?

Old 04-30-15, 01:48 PM
yeah, I paid them. washed my hands of them and bad mouth them at every opportunity i get. another issue is that they put the 2 sprinkler boxes in the middle of our side yard 15' apart and about 15' from the house. never thought about it till it was done. I would think / the guys I get to winterize system say that was a dumb design. Sure I could have tried to get them to come back and move the boxes / redo all their work closer to the house, but my view is that if they don't do it right the first time, they sure aren't going to do it right the 2nd time. They'd move the boxes closer to house but (un?)intentionally cause other issues / the hoses would have to be extended so I'd have all these extra connections that could leak 'cause they likely won't tighten them. But realistically, it was hard enough to get them to come back and bury that stretch of pipe that was actually on the surface. that's like 1 of the 1st things an installer woudl get right?! bury the tubing.

Oh well, so I am taking on maintaining the system myself to save costs and if there's poor workmanship, I know who to blame.

OH!!! get this - so I was cleaning out the dirt around the valves in 1 valve box. There was a rock that they cut the plastic 'skirt?' of the valve box to accomodate the rock. it's about the size of my fist - not huge. liikely easier to dig it out rather than leave it in place and cut the plastic. but that's their quality : (