Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

in ground sprinkler system basics - correct sizing for pop up heads for slope

Old 04-30-15, 01:55 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

There's another thread I posted about poor installation from a 'pro'. I'm looking here for the real experts : )

he put in 4" rainbird 1800 pop ups with the blue (10') sprayer heads running along my driveway. the ground slopes up from the driveway to about 1 - 2' higher at my property line which is about 12' from the driveway.

the heads aren't getting to the property line - partly because of the distance - 12' and the heads are for 10'... but also because of the rise of the ground?

Is there a math / science behind how tall the popups shoudl be and which sprinkler heads should be used to get to the property line with that 12' rise? because of the driveway / heads right near the driveway / soil height, etc. the 4' pop ups are just barely clearing the grass around them. Should I go with 6" pop ups? and 15' nozzles? when they say 10, 12, 15' for the nozzle distance, is that pretty spot on? Or you round up to the next size nozzle and water your neighbors lawn a bit too?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-15, 10:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I've installed a lot of sprinklers but I was never part of the design process. The first thing that my boss would do would be to check the water pressure. That would tell him how many zones to install. If the original installer didn't have enough zones, low pressure could be the reason for the short fall instead of the wrong heads. It's just a guess.

Old 05-01-15, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 587 Votes on 541 Posts
Since you mentioned Rainbird all you have to do is read their website. They have specs for all their emitters including coverage area and range at different water pressures. But key is that the system is properly designed. You have to match the number of emitters per zone to the water available. Put on too many or use emitters that flow too much water and the pressure will drop hurting range and at worst there may not be enough flow volume to get all the risers to get to the full up and sealed position.

If you are truly worried about the design of your system take advantage of Rainbird's design service to see how they would have laid out your system. It's free if you don't mind waiting a few weeks and you'll get a professional sprinkler design. I think for a fee you can get expedited service if you're in a hurry.

Old 05-01-15, 06:26 AM
B
thanks guys for the advice.

am I too OCD / compulsive / overthinking? Coming into the house / the outside lines supposedly have 125PSI. the inside plumbing has a pressure reducer to 60PSI.

is designing the system based on 125 PSI 'wrong'? What happens when the water company changes something months / years from now so that we only get 60 - 90 PSI coming into the house? Then the design doesn't work? (should you design for 'worst case'? in anticipation that you might get there?)

Old 05-01-15, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
125PSI sounds high. Has the pressure actually been measured ?
You could use an inexpensive gauge from the Depot to confirm it.

Rain Bird 3 in. Water Pressure Gauge-P2A - The Home Depot