Planting trees near house

Old 05-25-15, 06:21 PM
Planting trees near house

The house I own has a river birch tree growing a few feet away from the house. The house is built on a concrete slab. Is there any concern that the roots could damage the foundation? Do I need to cut it down?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-15, 06:31 PM
Cut it down reasonably soon and plant several new trees 2 or 3 times as far away from your home. Since you did not say how close it was to your house, you will have to guess, but keep in mind that people usually plant too close.

Dick

Old 05-25-15, 06:58 PM
I personally would prefer trees to be a minimum of ten feet from the house. Larger trees or trees with longer roots even farther.

Old 05-26-15, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree! you never want trees planted close to the house. Generally the root system grows as big as the canopy - that should tell you a lot

Old 05-26-15, 04:39 AM
What would be the reason it should be cut down? fire hazard, sqiuirrels getting in, foundation issues.

Old 05-26-15, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure how big a river birch gets [I have one on top of my hill, imagine that] but the bigger the tree gets, the more prone you are to have problems and the bigger the job is to remove it.

Old 05-26-15, 04:59 AM
It will at some point lift and crack the foundation.
Great jumping off point for critters and insects to get on the roof.
The leaves will fill up the gutters if there is any.
The shade will help moss or mildue to form.
The whole tree and roots need to go not just grind the stump down.
Reason being the dead wood left behind will be the first place termites will head to.

Old 05-26-15, 05:16 AM
I can't add anything to what the others have said except CUT IT DOWN! I am a firm believer that trees should stay in their own area. Is that being racist?

As others have said plant far away from house and get small decorative trees that can be easily trimmed. Try not to plant in sections where sewer, water supply or gas lines run underground. Also keep in mind a transplanted tree will tend to have near surface root system that will spread far and wide as opposed to a natural growing tree that will have a tap root that goes straight down and deep. Then the general root system will tend to be deeper in the ground. I mention this because a severe wind storms will tend to topple trees that have been transplanted as opposed to a tree with a tap root.