Sprinkler valve controller voltage question

Old 05-31-15, 05:15 PM
Sprinkler valve controller voltage question

I'm having a low pressure problem that's giving me fits.
This is a new installation. 3/4 PVC with 8 4" fixed-spray pop-ups. Water pressure very low. Have tried cleaning valve (brand new Orbit 3-valve manifold system) and assuring line and each head is clean. Diaphragm in valve okay. No leaks anywhere (pipes still exposed in open trenches). There is 80 lbs pressure coming into valve.

Once or twice during testing the spray came on full and strong and fully extended all pop-ups but only when valve was activated manually (i.e., via bleed screw). In the last several tests (both manual and electric), however, the water comes out weakly, extending the pop-ups only about an inch or so. This is driving me nuts. Needless to say, I'm very eager to bury the lines and get on with my life

One thing: discovered that my old Lawn Genie controller is a 6v system. The valves expect 24v. Nevertheless, the controller still activates them.

Question: Could this have any bearing on flow? i.e., Due to the low voltage, could the solenoid plunger not be completely retracting and thus inhibiting the valve from fully opening?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-15, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
The new style zone valves that say 24vac on them need 24 volts to open fully.

6v may operate them but only partially.

Old 06-01-15, 08:20 AM
Thanks Pete.
I'm going to get a new controller today. Hope that solves my problem.

Old 06-01-15, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
If you're going shopping make sure you look at the features of different controllers. I find that even the base RainBird controllers have more features that I need than the Orbit brand. I'm currently using a RainBird controller to control my Orbit valves so there is no issue with compatibility.

Old 06-04-15, 04:01 PM
Got new controller (Orbit 6-station). Works fine but problem persists. Searching through threads discussing similar problems, I found one which suggested manually pulling up one or more pop-ups to force a good seal. Tried it with one... nothing, then another and, voila!, they all locked in and I got a good strong spray from all heads!

I'm figuring that pop-up must be sticky. I will replace that head and see what happens. Now I get it. It wasn't a problem with pressure from the source. The problem was that at least one head was sticking and not sealing thus allowing too much bypass of water. This prevented the circuit from fully pressurizing so they were all just burbling water out.

Old 06-04-15, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got the problem figured out. I'm sure the low voltage played a small part in your problem.