Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Irrigation - 1 or 2 sprinklers coming off water line

Old 06-08-15, 12:56 AM

Have a large property, and instead of running an irrigation line along side a water line, I thought why not tap into water line, use an electric valve with backflow preventer, then run irrigation pipe to a sprinkler. Is this reasonable?
What are the bullet proof brands of valves? I don't want to these valves blow up.
Would be interesting if makers made a RF valve, then I could run power to the nearest source, instead of 250ft of trench warfare. thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-15, 02:45 AM
I think you are kidding yourself. There is no such thing as a "bullet proof" valve, either manual or electrical. Proper backflow preventers will be at least $100 each and many municipalities require them to be tested and certified on a yearly basis.

Old 06-08-15, 04:54 AM
Group Moderator
It is common to tie into the main waterline somewhere after the meter to provide the best flow possible for the irrigation system. You have to keep in mind where you will locate your valves and controller so often the connection to the water line is rather close to the house even if it involves doing more trenching.

Old 06-08-15, 01:14 PM
My property and water line are not typical layout. Well is in middle of property.
It's just that I'd like to have water lines to two buildings, and a point near rd (farm faucet). It is the run to farm faucet that I'd like to use as double duty.
What is the best setup to get a irrigation branch of that? I'll shut that line down in winter...easy to drain as the elevation drop to faucet is 50ft (250ft run).

Old 06-08-15, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
It's hard to offer advice without knowing what you have. Do you have a plan, sketch or satellite image you could post?

Is the well just for the irrigation system or is it also used by a house? I'm asking about the draining for winter.

Old 06-10-15, 08:59 AM
The well is water supply for everything, home and irrigation. The water line from well will go directly to a garage and house. From garage, a water line (1" 200 psi code compliant) will go downhill to a spot near street (terminate at an outdoor farm faucet - for washing, fire suppression, etc...). It will be about 250ft long. I'll have a valve in garage to turn it off in winter. Near the end of the run, I'd like to have an irrigation branch for 1 or 2 sprinklers. Running an irrigation line adjacent to faucet line seems like a waste of money. Getting a water box, doing a T junction at end, and backtracking occurred to me, but that will entail some money and a lot of work for 1 or 2 sprinklers...
Was hoping there was an easy way to branch off faucet line for irrigation.

Old 06-10-15, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Yea, it does make sense to just run one water line for the long run then branch off at the end for whatever you need to feed. Have you looked at wireless or battery powered irrigation valves? I quickly found that Hunter has them. Here's their website. That's the first company I found but there's bound to be others.

Old 06-12-15, 10:12 AM
Thanks Pilot Dane. I do have the ability to get power from an electrical shed near road. So, a Tee off line, with backflow preventer, electric sprinkler valve, and some sort of wifi capability, so I can avoid having to string 200ft of control cable.