herbicide question

Old 06-09-15, 12:54 PM
herbicide question

I have some broad leaf weeds scattered around my 2600 sq ft yard. I was looking at this on Amazon SPECTRACIDE, but wasnt sure of one thing on the label:

"Do not use within the drip line of tree...as damage might occur"

My issue is that my 1100 sq ft front yard has a large tree (city owned) that I assume has a drip line of 70% of my yard. I plan on only applying in a few spts, but I dont want to weaken this tree.

Is there a 'better' product to use? If there is an effective organic approach, I'd be all for that as well.

Thanks!

Oh! One last question: would I need something different for clover patches?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-15, 01:23 PM
You could look at one of the iron based products, such as IRONX from Gardens Alive. No experience with it, but it is a more natural based product. Chemical wise, look at straight 2,4 D. It's a main component in weed control products, but has fewer label restrictions when used by itself. Don't recall any warning about avoiding tree drip lines, but you should check. Amazon sells a highly concentrated version that you dilute and it's inexpensive.

Old 06-09-15, 02:43 PM
Just basic glyphosate will work fine. It doesn't get into roots and I've been using it for a year around the base of my trees (including a new sapling) without problems.

Old 06-09-15, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Glyphosate is NOT a selective herbicide. If you spray it on your lawn you will kill both broad leaf weeds and your grass. It's the kind of thing you'd spray on the lawn to kill everything before starting from scratch and re-seeding.

I'd use 2,4-D like Carbide Tipped recommended. One of the popular brands is Trimec but it's available from others as well.

Old 06-09-15, 04:03 PM
Yes obviously don't spray it on your grass, but if you're just looking to apply it in a few spots to kill weeds, it works great and more to the point, is tree safe.

Old 06-10-15, 05:41 AM
thanks for the replies! I had been looking at 2,4D earlier, maybe thats the way to go. I'll check out the Iron X, too.

Thnx!

I am wary of non-selective right now. If it gets out of control, I'll consider that route.

Thanks again! Great info!

Old 06-10-15, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
We use glyophosphate on a weed grass we have around here (nothing we've found will kill it that won't also kill the desired grass) by pouring it in a cup and then using a brush to 'paint' the leaves of the weed grass with it - makes a non-selective into a selective.