Arroyo Wall (river rock wall)

Old 06-11-15, 11:52 PM
Arroyo Wall (river rock wall)

River rock walls are particularly popular where I live.

I did some research on how to build with the rocks and mortar. I see that behind these walls there are concrete block walls, with the rocks used as a facade.

Right now my front lawn slopes down about 2' in the last 8' before hitting the sidewalk. I was thinking of building up a 2' wall, and then back filling the sloped area.

So, with my new 2' high wall as the new barrier with the sidewalk, a few questions.

1. If the wall is only 2' tall, should I put in a footer? I was going to use the 8x8x16 blocks, and I've read footers should be twice as wide as the wall.
2. If I use the hollow concrete blocks, should I fill those with cement and rebar? That seems like it would be extra, but I don't know what kind of lateral force the 2' of soil will be pushing the wall with.

Thanks for any insights.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-15, 02:29 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Where is the water going to go when it hits the wall? Maybe that's a dumb question since arroyo can mean a gutter. I suspect that you would need a footing.

Old 06-12-15, 09:17 AM
I was thinking of putting small tubes (1/4" diameter) through the mortar of the concrete blocks and rock facade to allow for drainage.

Old 06-12-15, 09:45 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If you do that, you might need some gravel on the inside of the wall to prevent the tubes from getting clogged. Is the reason for the wall for aesthetics only? Do you get puddles on the sidewalk when it rains? You might be creating unneeded work for yourself.

My parents had a block wall for years & eventually removed the wall & sloped the grass towards the sidewalk. The wall was probably built with the house in 1924 or so. After many years, it started to tilt.

Old 06-12-15, 12:03 PM
Yeah, it's all for show only. It's a historic district and like I said, they're very popular. I live in Los Angeles, we only get 15" of rain a year. There's no issue of rain running onto the sidewalk and carrying away my lawn/dirt.

I hadn't thought of the tubes getting clogged.

I might have to think of another way to build this wall, maybe just make forms with a footer, and get a load of concrete delivered. Lots to think about here . . .