Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

What to put on the grass in July with a few weeds in NJ

Old 07-17-15, 11:53 AM

Last fall I had sod installed. This spring, I initially put down crabgrass preventer with Lawn Food & also Lime:

Scotts Turf Builder Halts Crabgrass Preventer with Lawn Food - Lawn Food - Scotts

Than, about a 6 weeks later I put down Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed:

Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed Lawn Fertilizer-Lawn Care-Scotts

Now I have a dilemma, I want to put down Scotts Turf Builder with SummerGuard (already purchased it), but I have a few weeds growing (only 1 part of the back yard) as depicted in the picture below. Can I put down the Summerguard and than spot treat the areas with Touch up weed control from scotts?

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/tur...ard/prod100066

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/sco...n/prod10590018

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-15, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
I can't believe that Scott's is recommending 20-0-8 fertilizer during the heat of summer. The Summer Guard contains a insecticide and no herbicide so it will not do anything for weeds so you would need to use something else if your want to control weeds.

What is your main reason for wanting to apply something in the summer? If it is just to control weeds I would use the Touch Up weed controller or spot treat with a herbicide containing 2, 4-D.

If you apply the Scotts Summer Guard be ready to water if needed. 20% nitrogen (the first number in the fertilizer mix) is pretty hot for summer and will kick the grass into high growth mode. If it doesn't get enough water the grass may burn up. Another side affect to look out for if you have fescue is brown patch. Fertilizing in summer and over watering is a great way to promote brown patch.

Old 07-17-15, 03:09 PM
I don't know why they do, I am an amateur to all this. I did not apply it yet, the grass is green and healthy just a few weeds here and there, I will try the touch up remover . I water once a day for about 10 minutes at 7 in the morning.

Old 07-17-15, 09:27 PM
I water once a day for about 10 minutes at 7 in the morning.
When you water like that you encourage shallow root growth and THAT is a bad thing. Slowly transition to watering about every third to fifth day and water enough to get the soil wet at least a couple of inches deep. Best is to let god do the watering as that will encourage DEEP roots and your lawn will be healthier.

Old 07-18-15, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
If you are new to the lawn care thing I recommend figuring out what type of grass you have. There are some good grass identification guides online. It doesn't matter if all your doing is mowing but if you are going to be applying herbicides it's important to know so you can use products compatible with your lawn.

---
A few years ago the neighbor across the street from my parents decided to get their lawn looking pretty and applied a weed & feed... and killed almost the entire lawn. They had to re-seed and start from square one.

Old 07-18-15, 08:27 AM
I have Kentucky Bluegrass. What kind of weeds are the ones I posted in the pic? I will alter the watering schedule.

Old 07-18-15, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Your lawn looks really good I don't see "weeds" in your photo. Those taller, lighter green grass just look like a different variety of grass. I had similar looking grass mixed in when I put down sod a few years ago. It was annoying because it grew at a different rate than the rest of the lawn. In my case it was a fescue so there wasn't a herbicide that would get rid of it and not kill my sod so I just sat down with a cold IPA in one hand and pulled out the offending grass with the other hand. I didn't try to do the whole lawn in one weekend but just took it at a leisurely pace and just pull one beverage's worth of a grass a day. By the end of summer most of it was gone.

I have a small, highly manicured area of "pretty grass" which is tall fescue. I have it set to get watered twice a week if there is no rain which is plenty even for my climate which is a bit hotter than yours. I wouldn't stop your daily watering cold turkey. Maybe start by going to every other day for a couple weeks then back it off further.

I developed my watering schedule by sticking in a shovel and push it aside making a slit in the ground so I could gauge the moisture level 4-6" underground. The ground dries out top down so I did my schedule to water when the ground was dry down to that 4-6" region. My soil is only 18" deep in the good areas and tapers to only a few inches next to my patio so I walk a line between the shallow soil areas barely staying green and over watering the rest. If I had consistent, deeper soil I could go with once a week watering.

Old 07-19-15, 03:42 AM
Ok thank you. I will try that. Yes it does get annouing that this other grass grows at a faster rate!!!