Fertilizer Spreader Problems

Old 07-18-15, 11:09 AM
Fertilizer Spreader Problems

This last time putting down fertilizer on my yard, the spreader only dropped maybe 1/2 of what it normally puts down. Fertilizer was Scotts Southern Lawn Food from sealed bag. The spreader is a 2yo Scotts Accugreen 3000 which has worked well up to this point. Hopper was clean and dry when I poured in the fertilizer, lawn was freshly mowed day before application. Checked calibration of the spreader and the index mark on the shutoff bar pointed to the line with the dial wheel set to 6.

Anyone have any ideas? I e mailed Scotts but never heard back from them. Is there any kind of release spray that can be used on hopper prior to pouring in fertilizer to get it to flow better?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-15, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Have you looked over your spreader carefully? Does everything work properly? Does the gate that starts and stops the flow of fertilizer open and close properly? Does the spreader wheel spin when you push the spreader forward?

Old 07-18-15, 04:01 PM
Yes, the bottom bar opens properly and seems to be calibrated correctly. The rod inside hopper turns with wheels.

It might have been a one time issue with this particular bag of product. Just never had it happen before.

Old 07-19-15, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Did your spready spit out a little fertilizer then stop? If so it's possible the fertilizer bridged in the hopper. Giving it a kick or short drop usually is enough to break it free.

Were there any clumps or lumps in the fertilizer? Some can get pretty hard and can block the exit from the hopper and stop the flow.

Without any product in the spreader hold the agitator inside the hopper and push the spreader. Can you hold the agitator from rotating? If you can you've broken a shear pin or a gear is spinning on it's shaft. Start at the wheels and follow the path of the rotating power through the system to find out where it's slipping.

Old 07-19-15, 01:10 PM
Just inspected the bar inside the hopper, it turns fine with the wheels even holding it somewhat, no slippages noted.

The product in bag was completely clump/lump free and poured into hopper fine. I'm not going to condemn the spreader or Scotts on basis of this one bag. I'll see what happens next time I fertilize yard. Maybe some coating on this product caused it not to flow as freely as before, I dunno?

Old 08-16-15, 05:51 PM
Well, used the spreader again today with same product as last time where I had problems with it not flowing.........today with a different bag from I assume a different production batch, the material flowed at the proper rate. By the time I was finishing up on the second yard, there were 2 or 3 slots blocked by damp material but no worse than normal probably. I have no idea what was going on with that other product that just wouldn't drop??

Old 08-17-15, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Humidity can sometimes wreak havoc especially on a small push spreader. The aggitator bar and opening are rather small so it doesn't take much sticking for it to bridge over the area. Sometimes I use a broom handle to poke through the fertilizer and get things flowing.