Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Manually opening irrigation valves with irrigation well

Old 08-01-15, 10:43 AM

I have water coming out of the yard that I believe is due to a valve that's stuck open. There's 4 valves in the box and I'm trying to solve which valve controls the zone that's leaking.

The problem is that when I manually open the valves nothing happens. I'm guessing that it's due to being on an irrigation well and the system is only pressurized when the pump turns on. Does this sound correct? I can't for the life of me figure out how to manually pressurize the system so that water flows through the valves when I open them. Thanks for any help or insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-15, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
You say you have "water coming out of the yard". Do you see water bubbling out of the sprinklers or is your yard just wet, possibly from another source? If you have a dedicated irrigation well and pump and can't manually turn on the zones to test them because the pump is not running then it's a also a good guess that the water is not coming from the irrigation system... because the pump is not running.

Old 08-01-15, 01:14 PM
Well that makes sense. Should have thought of that. It's right next to the water meter box, which is full of water. I wanted to make sure I didn't have a leak in my water line, so I turned off the main water valve to the house earlier and checked the meter after an hour and it hadn't moved. Guess I should call the city to come look at it.

Oh and I can't see any water bubbling or flowing, but it is coming off the lawn and down the street.

Old 08-03-15, 07:27 AM
Update: the problem turned out to be a clogged underground downspout. The pop-up drain had been completely overgrown by the lawn. Now we're trying to unclog the pipe. The auger keeps pulling out dirt, grass roots, and gravel. I'm hoping we don't have to dig up part of the yard, but at this point it's looking more and more likely since I don't know how gravel and grass roots could have gotten into the pipe without a break in it.

Old 08-03-15, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
If the drain pipe is corrugated black plastic I'd consider digging it up. That pipe collects debris in all the corrugations. Is difficult to clearn when it does clog. And it is not meant to be water tight. Available fittings just push together so roots can grow into the joints and push them open if the pipe doesn't just crack and fail on it's own.

Old 08-04-15, 08:53 AM
Yeah my wife and I were discussing using standard downspouts on the front and sides since it's easy to get the water off the property. The rear will be a bit more tricky so we'll have to come up with something else there. Thanks for all the input.