Paver sidewalk question

Old 08-10-15, 09:21 AM
Paver sidewalk question

I am replacing my sidewalk soon and have a question. I know it is important to use a gravel base with sand on top. My question concerns the size of the gravel in the gravel base. I have a few tons of #57 stone left over from a french drain I just put in. Would this be too large of gravel to use for a base for a sidewalk?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-15, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
The base needs to be compacted. Is the material you have compactible?

Old 08-10-15, 11:25 AM
Not sure if the gravel would compact much.

Old 08-10-15, 11:41 AM
A real paver installation has the pavers laid dry on a 1" sand setting bed over compacted base and then vibrated into place. - The same thing as residential sidewalks, driveways, streets and airport taxiways. Real pavers are about brick size in different shapes.

If you are dealing with larger slabs of concrete (dimensions of 10" or so up to 24x24"), that is a different animal and the problem is to bed properly in some sand over a good compacted base. The biggest problem is some individual slab settlement from the weather and soils and possible cracks.

Dick

Old 08-11-15, 07:59 AM
I had major drainage issues in my front yard and my sidewalk shifted this past winter. I have fixed the drainage and will now be fixing my sidewalk.

The quarry that I got my stone from last time recommended stone dust. After putting it in, I realized the stuff compacted too much and didn't allow any drainage. So, Im removing all of the material and starting over.

Would crusher run be a good choice for a base, and then sand on top of that?