Building outdoor cedar planters

Old 08-17-15, 07:11 PM
Building outdoor cedar planters

I want to make some outdoor cedar planters. They would be around 2' long and 3' high. Would cedar decking (which is 1"x5.5") decking be strong enough?

Dimensional lumber seems like it would be overkill.

It does freeze where I live if that would make a difference.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-15, 07:36 PM
I made some bins out of cedar for growing potatoes. (overkill I know, but I had some leftover shorts). They were about 2 feet square and 3 or 4 feet tall. 1 by x rough cedar was plenty strong to hold when they were filled with dirt. These were sitting on the ground. If you were going to hang it on a wall, like a window box, it might be a different story.

Old 08-17-15, 07:42 PM
I think you will want to dump the soil in the winter. I live in NE Ohio and we have to empty all our outdoor planters and pots each winter. Otherwise, they crack or shatter, no matter whether ceramic, plastic, or wood. We have a bunch of them, and we just dump the soil in a pile and cover with a tarp until spring when it's time to replant.

Old 08-18-15, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO it's better to just build the box and insert flower pots instead of filling with dirt. That way you don't have the weight or moisture working against the wood.

Old 08-18-15, 04:41 AM
These would be sitting on the ground.

I would line them with plastic and then landscape fabric before putting in dirt.

I have also seen them make them out of pressure treated plywood on dyi shows. Then they apply decorative 1 x X boards.

Old 08-18-15, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Why would you be using landscape fabric inside the plastic?

Old 08-18-15, 11:15 AM
I usually put filler in the bottom to reduce the weight and amount of dirt needed (these are on a rooftop). So, I line with plastic, put filler in the bottom (empty water bottles, Styrofoam peanuts, etc) and then put the landscape cloth.

The fabric also helps keep any sharp twigs or roots from going through the plastic. Generally it is probably not necessary.

Old 08-18-15, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
OK, that makes sense to me now