Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Seeded Backyard Lawn Late in the season. is it a fail?

Old 11-05-15, 07:44 AM

Just a little back history. My backyard has had a deck over the area for about 15 years or so. Made the decision to remove it and have some sort of lawn in the back with a swingset for the kids. i aerated the existing soil and leveled it out with top soil, then used scotts sun and shade mix for seeds and their starter lawn food. Raked in the seeds with the back of a rake. i planted the seeds on October 22nd and its officially two weeks from that date. I'm located in Long island, NY and the current warmer weather for this season has been helping with the germination and growth. I water 3x a day for 5 minutes each to make sure the ground is always moist. Here is my law currently:Name:  Backyard Lawn.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  50.1 KB

As you can see its extremely patchy and last weeks rain and windy storm has moved alot of the top soil around (dark patches). I'm worried i'm at a total loss and next week we are gonna drop into the 50s. will everything thats their now die?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-15, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
At this point I would just wait for spring. What's already sprouted will just go dormant for winter and pick back up in spring. The seed that hasn't yet germinated will probably start in the spring so that's not a waste. Let things get started again in spring and then you'll have a much better idea if you need to reseed any patches or not. I think reseeding now might be a waste as anything you put down now likely will not have time to get started before winter and is susceptible to being washed away again.

Old 11-05-15, 08:23 AM
At this point I would just wait for spring. What's already sprouted will just go dormant for winter and pick back up in spring. The seed that hasn't yet germinated will probably start in the spring so that's not a waste. Let things get started again in spring and then you'll have a much better idea if you need to reseed any patches or not. I think reseeding now might be a waste as anything you put down now likely will not have time to get started before winter and is susceptible to being washed away again.
Good to know whats already there will still be there in spring. i thought it was a total loss and whatever has grown will just die. I've still got another week or so of 60 degree weather and hopefully it will grow a little more. but its extremely patchy. i was thinking of doing the "dormant seeding" method at the end of november. your thoughts?