Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Sprinkler head recommendation for a 7' wide strip

Old 11-10-15, 01:55 PM

I have a seven feet wide strip of a side yard.

It is 7' wide, and 36' long.

One side of it is the house exterior wall, concrete block stucco.

The other side is a masonry wall fence, also stucco finished.

What is the best kind of sprinkler heads to use for this kind of lawn? I know there are heads made specifically for narrow strips, but from past experience they don't really cover a rectangular area it's more like an "irregular bow tie" if that makes sense.

I am trying to decide:

(1) Where I should position the heads, in the middle (3.5' off), on the house side, or on the fence wall side.

(2) What type of heads to use.

Now ideally, I would never even put grass in this area. However, the house was a recent purchase and came with city liens. Last owner had removed too much grass area, and the city stepped in and ordered him to comply with the new code which is 40% landscaped area. With the entire site being 6000SF, of which 2400 of it is the actual house. If I want to keep the driveway to be concrete, I have to turn all available remaining space to grass. Which leads to many unpractical, stupid grass areas.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-15, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
I've only tried a few rectangular emitters and they sorta work. I can't say the pattern is exactly as they show but they do much better in a rectangular area than a round spray pattern. I also think having the emitter in the middle works than having it off to the side. In your long narrow strip I think going with rectangular emitters in the center that work sorta OK is probably the best, reasonable option. If you wanted real control you'd probably run emitters down both sides of strip with them spraying inward to the lawn.

Rainbird offers a design service. Their website steps you through the process to submit your site for the to design an irrigation system. If you don't mind waiting a week or two it's free and they have a paid service if you want a faster response.