what do I use to drill holes in tree stump?

Old 12-06-15, 08:15 AM
what do I use to drill holes in tree stump?

I have a stump of a tree that was removed this past May. I had it ground, however now I want to put up a shed in that area, and of course its in the residual is in the way. It's about 4ft in diameter. Its either a maple or oak. I read up on removing the stump, and what would make most sense on where its at, would be burning it. All instructions recommend drilling holes into it. I've only been able to drill one hole! the drill just doesn't seem strong enough (Ryobi 18v cordless). I checked on the local home depot ( closest tool rental) and they have hammer drills, but they say it wouldn't do the job. I tried a corded 1/2 in drill I bought at harbor freight (didn't really wanna spend 200$ for something I'll probably never use again), but it would work either. Since this is a common recommendation, what type of drill is used? what specs in a drill should I use? Doesn't seem that is should be that hard! thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-15, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What size holes are you trying to drill. Stump is most likely wet. I would use your 1/2 drill with 3/4 bit and drill down a couple inches and pull drill out while still turning. will clean out hole so you can drill in farther. What ever kind of bit you use you must keep hole clean of chips.

Old 12-06-15, 09:50 AM
You need a "ship auger" bit, 1/2 inch should be sufficient. That HF "1/2 inch drill motor" is probably woefully underpowered. I suggest that you rent a Milwaukee 1/2 or 3/4 inch drill motor and the ship auger bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59653[/ATTACH(Image courtesy of Vermont American.com)

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-15, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A spade bit [which is a lot cheaper] should work ok providing you do as pugsi said and repeatedly pull the bit out to clear the hole of sawdust.

Old 12-06-15, 01:30 PM
I've tried both the spade and auguer bits, with same success. I figured the problem is the crappy drill (of course I might be wrong)...

Old 12-06-15, 01:49 PM
Drilling

Drilling into the end grain is much more difficult than drilling across the grain. Drilling the stump at an angle rather than vertically may help. Definitely use a sharp auger bit.

Old 12-06-15, 02:47 PM
Just can not imagine taking the time to drill it out and burn a stump.
Any stump I've paid to have ground was done to below grade.
Build the shed above grade on piers so the shed is above grade so the siding does not not rot out and that stump is a none issue.

Old 12-07-15, 06:23 AM
Stump

A 4 ft. diameter stump is a large area. I would work it over with a chain saw being careful to avoid running the saw chain into the dirt. If burning, use charcoal.

Old 12-07-15, 07:35 AM
I have a crappy chain that I use for just that purpose. I cut stumps, roots and around stone walls with it.