Growing grass in mud patches

Old 02-28-16, 02:43 PM
Growing grass in mud patches

The snow has thawed out as the weather is getting warmer. I noticed several mud patches in the yard. What is the easiest and most cost effective will to fill the patches with grass? I like to work on it this spring, so when summer time come around and I start having cookouts, people can walk through the yard without stepping in mud. Right now the mud is still soft as weather averages 55 to 40 in March. I am a complete novice when it comes to landscaping, and I would appreciate any sound advice you can offer me.

Name:  yard1.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  yard2.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  49.2 KB

Last edited by theoneadamk; 02-28-16 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-16, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
If you just want to plant grass I would use a garden rake to loosen the soil surface. Spread grass seed and lightly go over it again with the rake. Once the soil warms enough the seed will germinate and grass will grow.

Old 02-29-16, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Are these patches always muddy? If so, I would add some sand to the area as well.

Old 02-29-16, 08:24 AM
If the area always collects water, growing grass on top will do little to drain that excess. I'm speaking from experience. Basically, you need to provide a surface path to allow the excess water to drain away of change the soil below to allow it to drain down to some place other than your lawn. A percolation test would tell you is the soil below can handle it.

A note, as winter ends, if the ground is still frozen that water has no place to go. If it disappears when the frost goes out, then problem solved, plant the grass.

Bud

Old 02-29-16, 05:01 PM
The soil was dry last summer.

Old 02-29-16, 05:10 PM
Given your location I would suspect your frost is already out, however, pick a discrete location and use a garden tool to dig down a foot or so to see is the soil is all wet or if there is a boundary layer, like clay preventing it from soaking in. If you hit frost that explains the water on top and it should drain shortly.

Bud

Old 03-02-16, 06:56 AM
I am having similar issues - I bought a house last year and the water in our side yard, into the back yard, just sits on top and ponds for a day or so after a heavy rain - unfortunately this was happening at the end of last summer after we moved in, what could be causing this and how can it be fixed? What issues will I run into if do not do anything about it?