How much gravel for drywell?

Old 03-07-16, 03:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much gravel for drywell?

Im going to install a drywell... it consists of an approx. 2' deepx 1" wide x 30' long trench and then the large hole for the well tank which I think is 24" x 3'.

I need to figure out how much gravel I need for the project so I can decide to either get it in bags at the homecenter or have it delivered in bulk.

Generally of course, how much gravel do you think I am looking at here?
And what type of gravel/stone should I be using?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-16, 04:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
First of all, you can't mean a 1" wide trench!? What kind of pipe are you installing in the trench? Why is the trench so long?

Use #8 gravel. You probably only need a !/4 yard but no one will deliver less than a yard, so you'll have to buy bags.

Old 03-07-16, 06:01 PM
S
I meant a foot wide 1'... 4" pvc... 30' situates it far enough from house and where I want it in yard.

Im out of luck on the delivery though it seems... only a 1/4 of a yard? Remember the well is backfilled almost fully in gravel.

and #8 gravel... I didn't realize there was a universal sizing system... thanks, that helps a lot.

Old 03-07-16, 06:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
IMO, 30' is too long for PVC because you can't pitch it right. I would use whatever you call that french drain pipe with the holes in it. I still don't see why you have to have the dry well that far from the house.

The inside of the dry well isn't filled with gravel, only around the outside wall. Drill holes in the outside wall. Put the top on it & connect the pipe.

Old 03-08-16, 06:22 AM
S
30x1x3" of gravel for trench is coming up . yard
then I guess the figure for the well hole would be 4x4x48"....

That's almost 3 yards??? Where am I making the mistake?

Old 03-08-16, 07:12 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
First of all, if you use PVC in the trench, which I wouldn't use, you don't need gravel. You only need gravel in the trench if you use perforated flexible pipe. As I said, you don't fill the dry well with gravel. The dry well gets surrounded with it.