Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

How to prevent crabgrass, yet treat WEEDS that are active already.

Old 04-02-16, 02:25 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So, here on Long Island, NY, my lawn has started to show some serious amount of weeds/clover. With that being said, I usually this time put down a pre emergent to prevent crabgrass, BUT I cannot find something to also treat the EXISTING weeds. Any advice in this situation? Thanks!
Basically, looking for all in one pre emergent crabgrass and active weed killer...GRANULAR preferable.
THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-16, 02:47 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Old 04-02-16, 03:30 PM
S
Thanks, I saw that but was worried because the weeds are already growing.

Old 04-02-16, 03:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Yes, the best time to treat crabgrass is late winter or early spring. Unfortunately this spring has been crazy with early warming though on Long Island you are probably still OK to apply a preemergent. Most products available now are preemergent and must be applied before the crabgrass seeds germinate. So, if you act quickly there is still a chance. Products containing pendimethalin/prodiamine is yellow in color and can stain patios but it's cheap and it works if applied early. Dimension is more expensive but is provides pre and post emergent protection and it's protection seems to last longer. It also treats many other broad leaf weeds. So, late in the season if you have a smaller yard I'd go for Dimension.

Other, non crabgrass weeds can be treated with products containing 2,4-D. It's available under many brand names and it's really inexpensive in generic form. If your yard is small it can be used as a spot treatment or applied to the entire lawn.

All in one products like the Scotts products do work but they are a compromise. Generally fertilizer and herbicides should be applied at different times so applying the components separately can yield better results but at the cost of more work.

Old 04-02-16, 06:13 PM
S
Thanks for the informative reply, much appreciated. Is there a specific granular product you would recommend?
FWIW, there are A LOT of weeds already coming up. Frustrating start.

Old 04-03-16, 05:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
What is the size of your lawn? For a small lawn I'd just go to your local home or garden center. Everything will be relatively expensive but for a small yard you don't need much. If your yard is big then I'd seek out a agricultural supplier like a feed and chemical company that serves farmers. The same chemicals under a different brand name can be found for 1/2 to 1/4 the price but the smallest package size is usually 50 lbs. For example, the one brand sold at both my local Lowes and at my farm chemical company is Roundup. At Lowes it's $110 for a gallon jug of concentrate. At my farm store a 2 1/2 gallon jug of concentrate is $43 and an off brand like Honcho or Glyfos is $36.