tall landscape wall in narrow area

Old 04-05-16, 07:14 AM
tall landscape wall in narrow area

We are having a pool put in and it almost complete so I am starting to think about landscaping. The pool deck is a full screen enclosure.

The area I need help with is a 7 ft wide by 30 ft long strip between the screen and my 6 ft high rear fence. Because my neighbors house behind me is 2 story, and about 30 ft away, I want to create a landscape wall for privacy, which I think will need to be 10-12 ft high and pretty dense. I still need to walk through there also, so I'm thinking 4 ft for that, which will leave about 3 ft for the landscaping.

I'm was thinking of the sky pencils, or bamboo, but have no idea if that would work. Any suggestions?

I live in East Central Florida.

Thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-16, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
I love bamboo but it must be properly contained or you and your neighbors will be cursing the day you planted it. I would put in a very durable barrier down 32-36" all the way around and protruding several inches above ground to contain the roots and prevent it from spreading.

Old 04-13-16, 04:41 AM
Pilot - what kind of material would I use for the barrier? Also would you know what type of bamboo is good for my area, and what size and spacing to use?

Thanks

Old 04-13-16, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
I use .200 thick HDPE sheet which is probably overkill. I buy it in 4'x8' sheets and cut it in half lengthwise then overlap the ends about 4" and use stainless steel nuts & bolts to join the pieces together. If you search for "bamboo barrier" you'll see many sites that sell material. Here is one site that has a good description of what you need to do to contain it.

Old 04-13-16, 06:31 AM
great, thanks for the info!

Old 04-13-16, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
I have two species of timber bamboo. It's wonderful stuff and makes a wonderful screen but it's highly invasive but there are clumping types that don't spread so badly. I would not fully believe it when a label or someone says that a particular bamboo will spread as I've seen most varieties spread to some extent. The spreading timber types though you have to be on your A game and don't go cheap trying to contain it.