Rocks over underground drip tubing

Old 05-12-16, 10:02 AM
Rocks over underground drip tubing

There is a large bed in the front of my new house with very old mulch. I'd like to remove the old mulch and replace it with egg rocks. I can do that but this area has the drip tubing irrigation which is mostly underground but some of it is just sitting on top of the mulch. I think what I would do is dig deep enough to bury all of the tubing completely but I'm worried if I just lay a ton of rocks on top of it then it will crush the tubing and create a bigger problem for me by making a leak. What is the advisable thing to do here?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-16, 12:22 PM
A simple way to keep the tubing functional would be to put a piece of PVC or similar pipe under the rock beck and re-route the drip tube irrigation through that pipe. Bury that pipe under whatever you want. you can even repair/replace the drip lines without digging up the rock bed.

- Peter

Old 05-12-16, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't be as worried about the weight of the rock harming the tubing as I would be from someone walking on top of the rocks on top of the tubing. If you could keep the tubing up high in the rocks you'd probably be ok.

Old 05-12-16, 06:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This type of irrigation is common out here, 1/2" tube and 1/4" tube coming off to the micro sprinklers. I wouldn't be concerned with either size tube crushing under the weight of stone.
You would have to try to kink or damage the tube, like jumping on it or striking it with a shovel.