Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Newbie lawn care advice for bricked off/mulched area

Old 05-25-16, 04:23 AM

I just moved in to this place and have never done any real lawn care before. I am wondering how best to deal with this bricked off/mulched area.

Name:  20160524_184429.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  50.3 KB

Do I just re-mulch it? Should I pull the weeds and grass first?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-16, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You always want to remove weeds/grass prior to putting down mulch! Some will put down landscape cloth prior to mulching. I often use newsprint instead although it won't last as long as the landscape cloth.

Old 05-25-16, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
I would spray the weeds with herbicide then cover with mulch. Something like Roundup or any product containing glyphosate will work well. Some herbicides will take a week or two for the weeds to look dead but as soon as the spray dries on the leaves it's OK to cover with mulch. Then if/when any weeds reappear through the mulch just give them a spray with the herbicide to kill them, or you can pull them if you feel like bending over.

Old 05-25-16, 05:30 AM
Really depends on what you want to do with it. That seems like it would require quite a bit of mulch. Are there any plants, flowers, etc there? Or do you think it was just all mulch? Is there any grade to it or is it all flat and even with the rest of the yard?

If you are going to put mulch all over that area, yes, I would definitely pull the weeds around there and then put mulch down. Maybe even plant some flowers or something to spruce it up a bit because from the picture, it does look rather bare for such a large area of mulch.

It also looks like it could be transformed into more usable grass space. That might require a bit more work, but it's doable. And at this point, based on the photo, it wouldn't take as much work as if there were other plantings there. Take up all the bricks, clear the area out, put down some fresh topsoil and seed...you'd be good to go. Though you'd probably want to wait till September to do that...it'd be quite an effort getting grass seed to grow at this point of the year.

It's all in what you want to do. To me, it looks like you've got a nearly blank canvas to work with there and there are plenty of options.

Old 05-25-16, 05:37 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the ideas. I wonder if the reason they had this mulched in the first place was because of the tree, you can see there are some roots coming up through the surface. Maybe the grass was not growing well here and this was done to fix that problem. I would actually like it to be all grass, and don't mind putting in the work to do that. I just don't want to embark on that if it's unlikely to "take". Any thoughts about that?

Old 05-25-16, 06:01 AM
Ah, good point. The roots could be why there's no grass there. I don't know what, if anything, could be done about the roots to get grass to grow in but that probably is why there's no grass. If the roots are breaking through the surface a great deal, then the best bet probably would be to stick with mulch in the area.

Are the roots spread out all through that space? Or are they just around the tree? If they're not spread too far, maybe you could even cut back the mulched space and turn it into grass, and just keep the mulch around the tree only.