Mushrooms in lawn (a lot!)

Old 06-05-16, 06:05 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Mushrooms in lawn (a lot!)

In the past I've had the occasional mushroom or even several, or even many. But all of a sudden, over the past few days (today in particular), I've noticed probably hundreds all over my lawn. I've never seen anything like it.

What can I do to get rid of them (just keep mowing and hope they go away?)?

I'm in Fairfield County, CT.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-16, 06:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
How old is your lawn? Mushrooms often indicate decayed wood underneath.

Old 06-05-16, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Mushrooms do not indicate a disease, or any other problem... they thrive on decaying matter in the soil and /or might enjoy the fertilizer that is applied to the lawn. Sprinklers can contribute too. Personally, I would do nothing... you can always pick them and throw them away, or kick them with your foot, or better yet, ignore them. Mushrooms are the visible manifestation of the main organism, which lives in the soil. Even when you don't see any mushrooms, the organism is still living in the soil... it just may not be sending up any mushrooms if it doesn't feel like it.

If you really feel like this is a problem, I have heard that a small amount of dish soap mixed with water will pollute the soil enough that the mushrooms won't like it, but it won't harm the grass. Cutting your grass shorter and shutting off your sprinkler system will help dry the ground. Mushrooms like it wet.

Old 06-05-16, 07:05 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
As stated mushrooms are a sign of decay from something under the soil. It's best to let nature do it's job and let them be or complete their cycle. Just be sure pets and kids do not pick or try to eat them.

Old 06-05-16, 07:15 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was just reading an article the other day about watering the lawn...it mentioned that if you water the lawn at night, that could allow for fungal growth and that it's best to water between 6-10 am.

Just a thought...

Old 06-05-16, 07:30 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks everyone. I haven't actually watered my lawn yet this year, but it's pretty modestly damp/humid for a while now. I'm guessing that's the problem. It's just that I've never seen anything like this. They are all over the entire yard. It's kind of freaky... None of my neighbors have this. Then again, most of them don't fertilize either.

I'll let it be and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: