3 Foot high retaining wall on sloped backyard

Old 05-31-16, 07:45 AM
3 Foot high retaining wall on sloped backyard

Hi,

My first project and post here.

I am trying to build a 3 foot high retaining wall in my sloping backyard. I am using Pavestone Rockwall Concrete Wall blocks for this construction.

I am constantly being told that this is a bad idea and this wall is not going to stay erect for long thus I am here to find out if that is truly the case. We are building this in central New Hampshire so cold weather is definitely a reason folks believe this will topple.

Here is what I am doing to make sure that it stays erect:

- I buried the fist block completely under ground placing that on top of a crushed paving material and leveling sand.

- I am installing a drainage pipe behind it covered in 3/4 inch drainage aggregate.

- Using geofabric to cover the aggregate and sleeve to cover the pipe to make sure that pipe doesnt get clogged.

- Filling the gaps between the blocks and holes within the clocks with more aggregate to increase the weight of the entire structure.

So at this point I feel like this should be pretty stable but the doubters are not letting me sleep at night. Some help or advice on what I might be doing wrong will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-16, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
I would agree that those blocks are not appropriate for a retaining wall and certainly not in your climate. Even HD advertises those blocks for garden walls and not for structural retaining walls. Your installation method sounds basically good but just using the wrong system/blocks.

I use Keystone brand retaining wall products but there are several other good, engineered systems. The installation is similar to what you are doing with a bit more emphasis placed on the base for the first/starter row. The blocks are much larger in size and very importantly they have a fiberglass pin that mechanically locks the blocks together side to side and from one row to the next. This allows the wall to accommodate ground movement and the wall remains structurally sound.

Old 05-31-16, 09:12 AM
The wall is not holding back any structure. Just helping me cut into the slope of the backyard to use the space in front for a stone patio.

HD does say that the product is for retaining walls up to 3 feet high.

Pavestone RockWall 6 in. x 18 in. Palomino Large Garden Wall Block (48 - Pieces per Pallet)-79881 - The Home Depot

Old 05-31-16, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
They say the maximum build height is 3' and they repeatedly refer to it's use in a "wall". Only in the details as landscape supply type is it referred to as a retaining wall block.

What holds the blocks together to form a retaining wall? I don't see a lip or pin to attach the pieces together and prevent the blocks from sliding.

Old 05-31-16, 11:12 AM
There is a lip in the back that is not show in the pics at HD. That does give a wall a small batter in the right direction.

I will take some pictures this evening and post here.