Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

2x4s or 2x10s for a retaining wall at the edge of a paver patio???

Old 06-16-16, 08:30 AM

I am building a "retaining wall" at the end of a concrete paver patio. The length of the patio will be 15'. I have dug 5 holes evenly spaced at the bottom of where the patio will be. The holes are approximately 2' deep and filled with quikrete which holds in (5) 4'x'4 posts. I want to run pressure treated boards horizontally 15' across and attach them to the vertical 4x4 posts. Once I "frame" this in, I will be filling with stone and sand then placing the pavers on top. There is a slope of about 2' where the horizontal boards will go. I am wondering if I can use 2x4s as the horizontal boards to support the weight of the stone, sand and pavers or if I need to use 2x6 or even 2x10s. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-16, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums. How about some pictures of the area?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-16-16, 01:08 PM
Other then the 4 X 4, none of the 2 X's are direct ground rated.

Old 06-16-16, 01:29 PM
The boards that I am looking at from HD ARE ground rated.

Old 06-16-16, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
I would not use a wood retaining wall especially with a paver patio immediately above. A lot of pressure is created when compacting the base layers and installing the pavers. A wood wall is rather flexible without even considering it's short lifespan. I would rethink the retaining wall before investing the time in money in the paver patio.

But if you are intent on using 2"x lumber it really doesn't matter how wide the pieces are. Wider might be more stable but with whatever you choose you only have 1 1/2" of wood resisting the side force of everthing behind.

Old 06-17-16, 06:12 AM
May want to double check the tag on the end of those 2 X's.
I shop in three different Home Depot's and several real lumber yards depending on where I'm working and have never seen direct ground contact rated 2 X's in any of them.
I have to get them at the local yard that does the pressure treated wood for building docks retaining walls.
And there also a full 2" thick not 1-1/2.