Creeping Charlie

Old 07-24-16, 07:43 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Creeping Charlie

Bought a house late last fall after lawns had gone dormant around here so I didn't look carefully at it. Come spring, I find I have a significant creeping charlie problem - several patches and almost the whole back lot line. Never had to deal with this stuff before, I've only heard stories about it being stubborn.

My first attempt was some general weed killer after a mowing, thinking the open leaves and stems would absorb the herbicide better. Net result was nothing; I may as well have sprayed water. Looking for a better plan before I sink a lot of time and/or money into something else ineffective.

Old 07-25-16, 05:27 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
It's important to remember creeping charlie is difficult to control. It may take two seasons (spring and fall) or two years (four seasons) to eradicate it. First, the best protection is always a healthy lawn so do what you can there. Another help is to give the area sunlight by cutting back limbs to open the lawn to the sun. Also, creeping charlie is an ivy so don't make your yard welcome for this type of plant. Raise the PH, cut back on watering, and keep your grass at least 2 1/2 inches.

Beyond that, use a good broadleaf herbicide, probably something containing 2,4-D. Pull out what you can but be mindful that leaving a small root will make pulling worthless. Don't forget pee-emergent in the spring.

Keep at it. You'll find out which of you is up to it.

Last edited by Tony P.; 07-25-16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-26-16, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
We also have a Creeping Charley problem.
What works best for us is to follow the recommendation to apply a broad-leaf herbicide when plants are fully growing but before they flower.
Once the plants flower the leaves get a waxy coating that prevents absorption of the chemical.

This is a very narrow window and because of our typically rainy spring weather it is difficult to apply herbicide at the right time.
We apply broad-leaf herbicide early summer for dandelions and it has no effect whatsoever on the Creeping Charley.

Old 07-26-16, 04:43 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I bought some Weed-B-Gon weed killer and it took care of the creeping charlie in my lawn:

Ortho Weed B Gon Chickweed Clover and Oxalis Killer for Lawns Concentrate-Weed Killer-Ortho

This is a link to the concentrate, but there's also a bottle available that you attach to your hose and apply it that way. Did the trick for me; within 2 weeks all the creeping charlie wilted to nothing.

Old 07-26-16, 10:43 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Once the plants flower the leaves get a waxy coating that prevents absorption of the chemical
I had heard that as well, that's why I applied after mowing, thinking the open wounds would allow absorption of the chemical but it doesn't seem to have worked out that way.

Ortho Weed B Gon Chickweed Clover and Oxalis Killer for Lawns
I saw that recommended on a website I found yesterday as well, going to look for that at the store this weekend.

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: