One zone of sprinkler system wont shut off

Old 07-25-16, 06:12 AM
One zone of sprinkler system wont shut off

Hello,

I have a Richdel 446PR controller and Irritrol 2400T jar top valves.

with all the zones on the controller set to OFF water comes out of zone 1 in a weak stream. If I turn zone 1 on I get the full stream. If I turn on any other zone, zone one goes to a weak stream and the other zones will not turn on. The only way to get the water to stop on zone 1 is to turn off the main water supply.
I swapped the solenoids for zone 1 and zone 5 and now I have the same problem where zone 5 now acts like zone 1. I also took apart all the valves and cleaned and inspected them and they all look fine. I also swapped the guts from valve 1 with another valve and still have the same problem. I see no leaking on any of the valves. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

on a side note, I noticed the solenoid on valve 3 is warm. is it going bad?

thank you for any help.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
What wiring is connected to what? When you swapped solenoids did you just move the solenoid from one valve to the other or did you disconnect the wiring so only the solenoid moved? If you left the wiring connected to the solenoid and the problem moved then it sounds like a controller or wiring problem.

Have you tried disconnecting the zone wires at the controller? If you unhook the leaking zone does it's flow stop?

Old 07-25-16, 07:17 AM
When is swapped the solenoids I did not change any wiring. I just unscrewed the two solenoids and swapped them. by doing that it makes the controller think that zone 1 is now valve 5, correct?

the way it is wired right now is that all the wires are inside one big ball of electrical tape. I'll have to take that apart and sort it all out but I assume at one point it was all working.

Old 07-25-16, 07:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like dirt under the valve seal. Don't know those valves but if they have screws all around base you can clean valve. Here is a manual for your valve
http://www.irritrol.com/manuals/inst_gd_2400-2600.pdf

Old 07-25-16, 07:56 AM
its a jar top valve so it just unscrews. I took the valve on zone 1 and 5 apart and cleaned them and I swapped the guts with 1 and 5 and still the same problem. so I don't think its any of the parts inside the valves. can anything be wrong with the shell of the valve? I don't see any cracks and there are no leaks.

Old 07-25-16, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Did you replace the diaphragm in the problem zone? If not I would try that. They are inexpensive and have a limited life. Old ones develop cracks or pin holes that can cause leaking.

Old 07-25-16, 09:04 AM
Yes, I replaced the diaphragm with one from another zone and it made no difference. Maybe both zones have bad diaphragm. But what puzzles me is when I just exchange the solenoids from zone 1 to zone 5 now zone 5 acts like zone 1. Wouldn't that show that the valve isn't the problem?

Old 07-25-16, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Since the problem followed the solenoid the solenoid could be the problem. It it's sticking and not getting the full travel it could cause a slow leak.

Old 07-25-16, 10:13 AM
ok, then I'll try change the solenoid in zone 1 with another one and also change the wires and see what happens.

Old 07-26-16, 05:33 PM
I replaced the whole valve and solenoid in zone 1 and there is no change in what it is doing. I guess its time to call an expert.