Weird stuff growing in front yard

Old 07-25-16, 12:38 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird stuff growing in front yard

This stuff started growing in my front yard lawn. Some of it has already been growing in the flower bed area (shown in pic) from a few years ago and not sure what it is, how to kill it. Pulling it from roots hasn't worked apparently (done this last year too).

Also, on my mulch bed, there's these grassy looking things growing too. Started just this year and I have weed blankets there! Driving me crazy.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 12:43 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
We have an undesired grass around here which we kill by pouring RoundUp (or other 2% glyophosphate product) into a cup and 'painting' the leaves with a small brush.

Old 07-25-16, 01:41 PM
C
So, I have weed killer (I think it's Roundup). Shouldn't I use it against the root level instead?

Old 07-25-16, 01:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
I don't even know what that means.

Old 07-25-16, 01:49 PM
C
Ok. Spray the weed killer at the root. More clear now?

Old 07-25-16, 02:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
The root is underground, how would you spray it?

Old 07-25-16, 03:12 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Round-Up is a systemic herbicide, so if you wait until the target plant is really thirsty, the toxin applied to the leaves will be taken in and transmitted down to the roots.

You do have to be careful, as Round-Up will kill every plant (pretty much) so you have to do something like what stickshift suggested, and direct it at only the plants you want to kill.

Old 07-25-16, 03:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 621 Votes on 574 Posts
Roundup and other glyphosate herbicides are absorbed into the plant through the living, green part of the plant. So spraying the trunk of a tree will cause it no harm but spraying its leaves will. Also, glyphosate rapidly binds to clay in the soil which rapidly/immediately makes it ineffective. So, spraying or pouring it on the ground will likely not kill the plant.

Old 07-25-16, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
Top 2 pictures looks like corn, sorghum, or millet that was mowed a whole ago while it was smaller. Pull it.

3rd picture is yellow nut sedge... you need a special herbicide (nutsedge killer) to kill it, and it should have been applied in June when the leaves first appeared. Pulling it will not get rid of it since it spreads by rhyzomes. You can try spraying it now but you will need to mix it strong and soak the roots.

Bottom one looks like nightshade. Pull it.