Downspout pop up drainage

Old 07-26-16, 05:17 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Downspout pop up drainage

I wanted to know if it's normal for these pop up drains to have left over water standing in them many days after it rains.
I'm trying to keep any water standing to a minimum with the mosquito population thriving .
Any additional info is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-16, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Yep. Most popup elbows are supposed to have a weepage drain hole. If yours has no hole you could always drill one.

Old 07-26-16, 06:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I drill out several? I do remember drilling one out but obviously it's blocked with all the clay around it.

Old 07-26-16, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
You might want to use a shovel to peel the grass back. Excavate around it and put a deep gravel base under the elbow. Cover that with some top soil and put the grass back. That way the weep holes (drill more if you want, but not so many that dirt wants to come in) will be able to drain a little better. Clay is not ideal for drainage as you probably already know.

Old 07-27-16, 07:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Clogging is probably the biggest problem with pop-up downspout drains. Because the pipe and elbow are at the lowest point they collect the debris that washes off the roof. Drain holes soon clog with the grit and dirt washed off the roof. A large pit of free flowing stone underneath can help but eventually even it will fill up with silt washed off the roof and need to be redone.