Replacing brick pavers in front of garage?

Old 07-30-16, 06:11 PM
Replacing brick pavers in front of garage?

We have a home which is having issues with the red brick pavers in front of the garage door. Over the years a large water oak nearby has really buckled the area quite markedly, and even though I can probably take up the pavers and cut back the roots somewhat, there's no guarantee that the roots won't put in a repeat performance again once I put the pavers back down.

My initial thought was to pull up all the bricks, clean up and tamp down the soil, lay some ground cover material over it, and put down a couple of inches of gravel within an appropriate border of permapine. There's also a small fish pond to one side around which I also considered putting the gravel. But because the area is right under the oak tree, I wondered if this idea might end up being a pain to deal with because of constantly having to rake leaves and nuts out of the gravel constantly.

The alternative I considered is to put something like pine bark chips down, but not sure how this works with regard to garage door aesthetics. I should point out that the tenant doesn't use the garage for anything more than storage, so there's no issue with bark or gravel being driven into the garage constantly.

Any thoughts?

Name:  bricks 1.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  50.8 KBName:  bricks 2.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  51.2 KBName:  bricks 3.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  53.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-16, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Any thought of removing the tree?

Old 08-01-16, 09:35 AM
Stickshift makes a good point....

Any hardscape you put down... concrete, new pavers, asphalt...will likely damage or be damaged by the tree roots.

Between gravel and bark nuggets or mulch...I think the gravel would be better in terms of dealing with the leaves and nuts. Bark nuggets or mulch will get pulled along with even light raking, where gravel, especially if you use larger size gravel or stone, will resist being raked out of place better.

Larger size river stone, say 3/4-1" or so might work pretty well. It's rounded, so stuff doesn't get caught in it as easily, and it's easy to walk on.