Applying Bayer grub control ???

Old 08-08-16, 07:33 AM
Applying Bayer grub control ???

Do I need to pre wet the lawn and the bottle says it covers 5000sqft so if I just do my front lawn there should only be a slight amount used in the bottle ?? Is it just a quick application over the lawn ?
Should I do any fertilizer after some time if so what strenght ??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-16, 08:35 AM
I'm not certain what your product is in Canada or what type of grub you have. As a basic answer to your question though, soak the ground after application.

More generally, though, products containing imidacloprid, thiamethoxam, clothianidin or chlorantraniloprole are preventive products that work very well on newly hatched grubs present in the summer.

Old 08-08-16, 11:05 AM
It's imidacloprid 1.47%.......... From USA . Otherwise all we have here is nemantoads

Old 08-08-16, 04:06 PM
Great thanks. Your product should go a long way toward curtailing your grubs. Do it soon. Apply enough to cover the lawn not drench it with pesticide. Most important, though, is watering afterward. Put out some cups and water until you have .5-1 inch of water. In terms of fertilizer, I can't really comment on specifics. It's best to do a soil test and fertilize based on that. However, don't fertilize until the proper time for your region (as I don't know where in Canada you're located), probably next month.

Old 08-15-16, 05:44 PM
One product I had in the past says water first then apply .????

Old 08-16-16, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
The label on a bottle of aspirin says to take two tablets every four hours... would you use those instructions for applying your grub control? (The answer is NO.) Follow the instructions for the product you are using. NOT some other random instructions you partially remember.

Old 08-16-16, 06:18 AM
The product I have doesn't say anything about watering

Old 08-16-16, 07:23 AM
To be clear, if you have product applied with a hose end sprayer there is no need to also water the lawn. If you apply a dry product you must water.

Old 08-16-16, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the help I called bayer to clarify. Since I have the bottle form they are saying just a quick pass over on lawn . No need to pre wet or soak after wards

Old 08-16-16, 07:31 AM
I did water slightly afterwards I guess I washed it all away

Old 08-16-16, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
No, you did not wash it "away". You washed it into the soil where it can kill the grubs. Just because you don't see it on the blades of grass doesn't mean it's not there and working.

Old 08-16-16, 09:27 AM
So will the dead grubs come up and be visible . If so how long does it take

Old 08-16-16, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
The grubs live underground and will die underground. The only way you'll be able to see if they are dead is to dig a test hole and see if they are alive or dead. I don't know how long it takes to work but if you properly watered it in I imagine they will be dead in a week but some products say they kill in 24 hours.

The key is to properly water the pesticide in. A light watering does not work. Most products say to thoroughly water while others specify at least 1/2" of water (the equivalent to 1/2" of rain). Most of the grubs live 2-4" underground so there has to be enough watering to wash the chemcials that deep into the soil.

Old 08-17-16, 05:43 AM
Your desire to do something is understandable but you've already done it. Imidacloprid will stay in the soil for quite a while (possibly months) and work its way to the grubs.