Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Adjusting the spray for a rainbird 5000 rain curtain?

Old 11-02-16, 02:24 PM

We have a 50 head sprinkler system put in a few years ago and always wonder - though the brochures talk about the 5000 as making a rain curtain, when I look at the spray, it seems to be heavily focused on the distance and not much seems to fall closer. I don't have rings of green grass at the max distance of the spray heads, so there is some water getting all over.

I've often wanted to put cups on the lawn every few feet from a head and see if all the cups have the same amount of water after a spraying. But never did that.

Is there a rule of thumb / guide to know how the spray should look? I realized also that at a circle 5' from the head, needs less water falling than at 25' becuase the bigger circle has to cover a wider circumference. So I guess it SHOULD look like more water is going farther. But how can I be sure I shouldn't crank down / loosen up on the screw that controls the spray ?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-16, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
I think you've answered your own question. The grass is not indicating a watering problem and you have not put the cups out to find out if there is a problem. If you want to find out if the watering is uneven... put the cups out and check the watering pattern.

You cannot rely on appearance. Small droplets of water loose their energy quickly and fall closer. Larger drops retain their energy longer and travel further. In many lighting situations it's easier to see larger drops so the watering may be relatively even but you can't see the smaller droplets.