Water Line Leak

Old 12-30-16, 12:08 PM
Angry Water Line Leak

I have a water line shut off in the parkway in front of my house. I think this is a water shut off for an "area" around my home and not just for my home.

The ground in the parkway has sunk about 4 inches in an area about 6 feet long and 4 feet wide. The ground in my front yard has now begun to sink in about a 10 X 10 foot area directly across from this shut off. I have also been noticing a lower water pressure in the house. If it's allowed to continue the next thing will be the sidewalk over this area will crack and split and several of us may not have any water at all!

I sent the village water department manager an email explaining to him the problem. After 2 -3 weeks of him not having the courtesy to return a call or email, my "persistence" finally registered with him and he responds to my email and says there's no water leak it's just "Normal" settling. His man was out there and inspected it and that was his finding. Hmmmm, ground STILL settling after 12 YEARS? Any suggestions on how to deal with an individual who thinks everyone is as ignorant as he is!?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-16, 02:48 PM
put in writting and send to all parties at your village!

Old 12-30-16, 07:56 PM
If there were a water leak, either your water bill would be way up or the village water department's would be way up and they wouldn't ignore it. Get a water psi gauge and test the main line without interference of any shutoff valves or spigots or faucets etc. If you're in specs of what is normal or allowed, then I don't think you can do anything. Settling doesn't always mean a leak. Do you see water pooling in the sink areas?

Old 12-31-16, 03:20 AM
First, see if you can get a copy of the inspection. As the problem apparently impacts other homeowners as well as you, see if you can get them to join with you. Then, contact your local government elected officials and let them know about the problem. If necessary attend a local meeting.

Having said all that, it may be settling. Who knows what was used for fill. If trees, it could take decades.