Landscape ideas for flooding section of yard

Old 01-18-17, 06:52 AM
Landscape ideas for flooding section of yard

Hi all,

I have a section on my side yard that crazy floods with the slightest amount of rain. Looking for landscape ideas to fix. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ps. Hope to post pictures or the area I want to fix.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-17, 07:06 AM
This should be an accurate representation of the area.

Thanks again,

Dan

Name:  IMG_0496.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  51.1 KBName:  IMG_0495.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  50.1 KB

Old 01-18-17, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
With that little space between the houses I would be looking at installing a drain of some kind.

Old 01-18-17, 09:08 AM
Is the flooding coming from each houses downspouts?

If so getting that water away is best solution!

Had a similar situation at my moms house. I ran two downspouts down to the curb, dug a small pit filled with big gravel. When it rains the water pushes up and into the curb.

Not the best solution but it does get rid of the water from the side of condo.

Old 01-18-17, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
I am surprised the grass has done so well in that area. I would think it's borderline for getting enough light.

In your photo it looks like downspouts from the front of the houses discharge somewhere in the front. If they do keeping that water in a pipe until it's downhill and behind your house would work. Unfortunately it looks like you'd have to trench a long way and you and your neighbor would both have to agree to do both houses. Since it's a long run I would use smooth wall PVC instead of the corrugated black pipe as it's more resistant to clogging. I would also install a cleanout so you can easily access the underground pipe when it clogs.

Another option is to make a concrete lined ditch where you currently have grass. Concrete would prevent erosion and provide a walkway. You could save money by using rip rap (softball size and larger) or gabion (baseball sized) crushed rock. The smaller gabion size should be good enough for your flow of water and the smaller spaces between the rocks limits the size of critters that can get in there. Rip rap would handle heavier flows of water but the spaces between the stones are big enough that snakes can be a problem but maybe not so much since your area is well shaded.

Old 01-18-17, 12:38 PM
First let me say thank you for all the responses. It is greatly appreciated. Now to try and address each one.

The house is new and so is the grass. I was hoping for ideas that also got rid of the grass as I agree with you Pilot Dane, I think it is going to be a challenge to keep the grass alive.

The only downspout I can see is on the back of my neighbors house. I may be missing something though ;-) The house on the left is mine. For perspective, the pics were taken from the front of the house.

Stickshift, drain of some kind? I agree, any suggestions outside of what Pilot Dane suggested? Pilot Dane, not sure my neighbor is going to agree to your suggestions. Also, the property is sloped to the front of the house which basically ends at one of this big green electrical boxes. Not sure down hill is an option.

The house is new and still under warranty. Any landscape professionals care to comment on "fix this under warranty" I know it is going to be up to the builder but was curious if this is considered a normal ask or not??

Thanks,
Dan

Old 01-18-17, 12:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd bring it to the builder's attention and see what he says.

Old 01-19-17, 12:29 PM
Here is the response from the builder. Would the condensate lines create that much water?

We inspected the area today. Area is dry and is holding up well with water leaving backyard from back right to front right of house. One piece of sod needs to be replaced in spring, I believe condensate line caused the sod issue. We will move condensate line to front of house in two weeks time.

Old 01-19-17, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Is your HVAC system's condensate line discharging water this time of year? During hot humid summer conditions the condensate line might discharge a quart or two per hour. Enough to make a wet spot in the area around the drain but I doubt it could saturate the whole area between houses.

Old 01-19-17, 05:29 PM
Thank you for everyone's response. I may have to wait until the rainy season again. Information is power though....thanks again.