Sloped yard and new fence with neighbors

Old 01-31-17, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sloped yard and new fence with neighbors

Hello,

I am Alicia. I live in the pacific northwest. Our street all slopes south, so each neighbors yard slopes and flows into the next. We happen to be the second to the last house. Everyone else has put up a retaining wall than a fence on top of that. Except the house to the south of us. When that neighbor talked about putting up a new fence last summer, I suggested that we do the same. To bring our ground level there I would have to fill in soil from 1 to 3 feet depending on the area. He decided not. I want to level the ground to put up a garden bed. Since my husband decided to help pay for the fence I don't want to destroy it by putting soil up against it. The fence is cedar. Any suggestions?
My thought is to seal the bottom part of the fence that will be exposed, put fabric landscape lining on the fence, fill back about 2 to 3 inches with gravel and than soil. any thoughts will be helpful

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-17, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
You would never want to backfill directly against a fence. You will need to pour or build a cement retaining wall next to the fence, leaving an air space in between.

Old 01-31-17, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums Alicia!

While there are things you can do to prolong the life of a fence that is partially underground - sooner or later it will rot Would it be feasible to build up your garden area a few feet in from the fence. That way you could mow/weedeat and keep that path clear.

Old 01-31-17, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
You do not want to ask a fence to do the job of a retaining wall. Relatively soon you'd probably notice the fence bowing out between the posts and then the whole fence would start to lean over. Eventually the wood will rot out and you'll have a bit of a mess.