Weeding and Feeding my lawn

Old 02-05-17, 03:38 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Weeding and Feeding my lawn

Located in South Florida zone 10b.

Just sodded the entire backyard in September after a major project, and the grass didn't establish real well and spotty here and there and weeds are showing up everywhere.

On one weekend in December I pulled all the weeds I can find. Two weeks later we had some rain and the weeds came back with a vengeance. So this weekend I went to the big box store and got a big bag of this weed and feed.

The guy at the store was very helpful and recommended the Scotts Turf Builder Weed N Feed Bonus S...whatever that means.

He told me the way to use it is to NOT spread it and water it immediately. But instead wait till the evening and spread the product, let it sit out there and the morning dew will "work it in". Then turn the sprinklers on in the morning to "wash it down".

However the instructions on the bag said to spread it and immediately water it.

I just spread this thing all over around 4pm and turned the sprinklers on...

However, I don't have sprinkler coverage in the front, only the back. So the front has the product applied but no water yet. Its dark out now so I will wait till tomorrow and do it manually with the garden hose. How long will this weed n feed stay "effective" after application? Will it still be useful if I water it say 20 hours later?

Old 02-05-17, 03:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
Can you provide the full product name you applied? Was it their Bonus Southern Weed & Feed?

If it is then it's active ingredient is altrazine. It is mainly absorbed through the roots of plants which is why the instructions say to water it in immediately. They want you to do that so it gets into the ground in a controlled manner. If you wait and get a heavy rain much of it can be washed away. Some is absorbed through the leaves so the advice isn't totally off if you can get the timing and weather right.

Be careful when handling the product and don't lick your fingers after handling it. Though it is a widely used herbicide its hazards are known. It has already been banned in Europe and it's days may be numbered here in the US.

Old 02-05-17, 04:36 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The product is called " Scotts Bonus S Southern Weed and Feed Fertilizer".

Scotts Bonus S 17.47 lb. 5,000 sq. ft. Southern Weed and Feed Fertilizer-3313A - The Home Depot

It does say it has Atrazine.

Will it be ok to wait till tomorrow to add water after I applied it a few hours ago? I had the backyard sprinklers on. But the front yard I want to wait because I want to eat drink and watch football!!!

Old 02-05-17, 06:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
Yea, you should be good as long as you don't get heavy rains during the night.

Old 02-05-17, 09:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Too late now but how much prep work did you do before the sod went in? I'm guessing not enough and this is the root of the issues you have now. Sod takes every bit as much prep as seed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: