Q: Raising a sprinkler head (or two)

Old 04-12-17, 11:04 AM
Q: Raising a sprinkler head (or two)

I need to make one, more likely two, sprinkler heads about a foot higher.

Assuming I haven't mixed the pictures up, this is the first one, with a metal riser
Name:  Sprinkler1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  52.4 KB

the second one is plastic:
Name:  sprinkler2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  54.0 KB

What do I need to get and do? Are they replaced at the T (where the riser attaches to the underground pipe) or can the riser be extended where the nozzle is?

The two heads are within beds; I'm putting in some raised beds that'll have strawberries and a few other things, and need to raise the heads over the bed walls--the beds just happen to be right next to where the heads are, so the sprinklers won't clear the 8" walls unless I raise them.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-17, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Risers are sort of like really long pipe nipples. A long piece of pipe with threads on the end. So your vertical riser is screwed into the T that is underground. You can either replace the whole riser or screw another section onto the top. Just make sure you know what size pipe you have. 1/2" is the most common on residential sprinklers. There are pre-made riser extensions that have both female and male ends or you can make up your own from pipe and fittings.

Old 04-12-17, 03:15 PM
they come in M x F or M x M, can be solid or cut off style.

Name:  cap1.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  12.6 KB

Old 04-12-17, 04:50 PM
Thanks. Do I have to buy both plastic and metal risers, or does that depend on whether I replace the whole thing? (rather than extend them)

Old 04-12-17, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use either plastic or medal. Personally I would go with plastic unless it is going to be in a place that could be hit with something.