New homeowner help

Old 04-16-17, 07:06 AM
New homeowner help

Hi everyone,

Hi all,

spring is here and as you can see the front yard landscaping is something that needs to be redone. I'll preface this with the fact that the bricks along the house and porch will be covered in stone veneer (probably within the next year) but I wanted to get some new plants/flowers and make the landscape better. Plan is to get rid of the mulch (bark) and all plants/little trees that are there now.

My issue is that I don't know if I should get rid of ALL of the mulch, or just enough where I can then spread new mulch on top. Do I need top soil as well?

More importantly, can anyone give me some guidance as to what types of bushes/flowers/plants to put, maybe a little design etc.? I'm also taking this to a nursery by me (I don't have a landscaper at this moment). For the record I am in Long Island, NY for any considerations for weather, and not trying to break the bank on this.

Appreciate any advice, and I'll answer any questions that may help someone with this.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-17, 07:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your pic never made it. I can't tell you is what flowers to use. However, I can tell you that I think that mulch is a waste of time & money not to mention ugly.

Old 04-16-17, 11:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I like the look of mulch. I normally remove all/any weeds, level it out and lay new mulch. Sometimes I'll lay newsprint down first as an added weed barrier.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-16-17, 01:52 PM
Mulch is popular below the Mason Dixon Line. The OP & myself are in the north. I never saw so much mulch when I lived in Florida. It tends to smother the roots. At least that's what they said on This Old House.

Old 04-18-17, 04:50 PM
Apologies for the delay and thank you for the replies. I have tried to insert a picture but keep getting an error, so will try again shortly. Just wanted to acknowledge everyone that has replied.

Old 04-19-17, 03:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might have to resize the picture, it won't load if it's too big.

Old 04-19-17, 07:03 AM
Use photobucket.com & post the link here.