retaining wall question

Old 04-25-17, 06:57 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
retaining wall question

I am putting a wall in my backyard to split the levels so I can have a patio. The wall will be around 50 feet long and 4 foot high but that is not the issue. It will be made of dry stacked block from a home improvement store.

I am debating on wrapping the stone wall around into a tight curve at the end that ends in the ground..hard to explain...i can't find any pics of this online. Imagine a question mark. The straight part at the bottom will butt up against the house. It will then follow roughly the exact shape of a ? but at the very top (where you start to draw/write) it will curl in a little more. There will be a slope to tie the two tiers together (in between the foundation of the garage and the curly end of the wall.

OR

I just have a wiggly line that is 4 foot high at the house but the height goes down as the dirt level does. Problem is that while this wall with have curves the dirt on one side will eventually push it out-won't it? I know dry block was made for this but physics wise the ? seems better suited.

Does anyone understand this or did I just confuse everyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-17, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
1. Do NOT build a retaining wall from blocks purchased at a home center. Those blocks are barely passable as "landscape" blocks only and are not suitable for a retaining wall especially for one 4' high. The smaller blocks sold at home centers are marketed as cheap and easy. The blocks are generally much too small and light and lack proper interlocking for retaining wall use.

2. Choose an engineered retaining wall system. They use vaguely similar pre-cast concrete blocks but are engineered specifically for retaining walls. I use Keystone brand but there are several others that are also good. These blocks can do all the curving you want and can withstand the tremendous side pressure exerted by the soil behind the wall when installed properly.

Old 04-26-17, 09:40 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I understand what you are saying, I was planning on getting the solid block if that makes any difference.

Beside the medium used-can you give any advice on the shape of the wall at the end when it curls in...???? Only the top blocks will be visible at the end of the curve and more so as the earth slopes.

Old 04-27-17, 06:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Most of the blocks sold at home centers, regardless of being solid or having holes, are little more than garden or landscaping blocks. Your 4' high wall is beyond their capability.

Look at engineered retaining wall systems. They have detailed instructions how to create any shape wall you wish. The wall systems work so what shape you make the wall depends on your site and the aesthetic you want. Straight, inside and outside curves of varying radii are all very doable.