Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Controlling garden hose solenoid with Zwave -- now want to move to Rachio

Old 05-01-17, 12:59 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have an 11 zone underground sprinkler system with Rachio as the controller, working well.

I have a garden hose connected to a separate solenoid, which in turn is connected to a Zwave appliance module. I have this second device because I can move the garden hose/sprinkler to different parts of the lawn to cover newly planted flowers, grass seeds, etc.

I would like to migrate the hose solenoid to the Rachio to have it all on one system. The Rachio has only one wire per zone but the hose solenoid has two wires. How do I convert the two to one?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-17, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
Zones 1-8 share a single C (common) at each end and zones 9-16 share another 2 C connections.

Each zone is 1+C, 2+C, 3+C, etc.

Name:  rachio.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  20.6 KB

Old 05-01-17, 05:02 PM
M
So that means that this separate solenoid can't share the common wire connection port in the rachio unless I connect it in series with the underground sprinkler valves right? Is there any other way to wire a totally separate solenoid to the rachio ?

Old 05-01-17, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
You need to supply your new valve with a zone wire and a C wire.

You have 4 C ports in that unit. There should be one open on the 1-8 zone side and one open on the 9-16 zone side.

You can get the C at the unit or at the end of your existing multi wire cable that feeds the other zone valves.

Old 05-01-17, 07:31 PM
M
I have generation 1 with only two Common ports. And both are used since I have 12 zones. So I guess I am out of luck unless I chain this solenoid with the other valves.

Also even if I had an extra Common ports... If I activated the standalone solenoid , wouldn't it open the master valve for the underground system that is not being used ?

Thanks again for your help !!

Old 05-01-17, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
You can splice into the common at any point.

Do you have a master valve ? Most systems don't.
The water is always on and each individual valve opens to water a zone.

Old 05-02-17, 07:59 AM
M
Yes, I have a master valve. You actually helped me repair it in the thread below (thread title -- always hearing water running in backflow preventer).

So I can run the solenoid valve wire to the Rachio and connect the common wire to it with a wire cap.... But I guess when I start the solenoid "zone," it will also open the master valve by default... That's something I'd like to avoid. I checked the Rachio briefly but I couldn't find a way to bypass the master valve for a particular zone (either you specify you have a master valve or not -- no individual settings)?

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: