Soil test results

Old 05-25-17, 01:34 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soil test results

Hi. Given the following soil test results, just wanted to see what you guys recommend I put down as far as fertilizer is concerned. I recently (as just mentioned in a separate post), put down Lime (I believe I put down 6, 30 pound bags in my 10,000 sq ft front lawn). Maybe I should have put a bit less now and then more in the fall?

In any case, given that I'm high in P and K, should I just be using something with a lot of N going forward (and little to no P and K)?

This goes back to one of my other posts, where I asked about these:

Safer Brand 25 lb. Ringer Lawn Restore II Fertilizer 10-0-6
Purely Organic Products 25 lb. Lawn Food Fertilizer 10-0-2
Milorganite 36 lb. Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer 5-4-0
GreenEdge 40 lb. 6-2-0 Slow Release Organic Fertilizer 6-2-0
Vigoro Lawn Fertilizer 29-0-4

Is this the route I should be going, or is there something else that I should use given the results?

Finally, I see that it says only two fertilizer applications per year are required when grass clippings are returned to the turf. I do this (i.e. my riding mower just mulches it and leaves it (though occasionally if I have big clumps I might blow them around, but never off the yard), so should I only be doing 2 treatments during the year?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!

Name:  soil1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  36.1 KBName:  soil2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  22.4 KB

Last edited by newbie0101; 05-25-17 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-17, 03:59 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you paste the full comments section from the test results? It recommends what to do & what to read. Otherwise, you need a chemical engineer.

Old 05-25-17, 06:05 PM
N
Hi. Yes, the Comments section (pasted above) gives some inx, but basically says to "follow the recommendations...on the fact sheet..."

The fact sheet (http://www.soiltest.uconn.edu/docume...aclawn6-16.pdf) is generic though.

The Comments section is also where it says to just fertilize 2x/year if I leave grass clippings, which I do.

Old 05-26-17, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
Yes, two fertilizer applications a year is a common recommendation and it is also common to use a fertilizer high in N and low in P & K. P and K are often naturally more available in the soil while nitrogen washes away and needs to be applied periodically. Because usable nitrogen washes out of the soil it should be applied when the plant is growing the most. Applying it at other times can be a waste as most will just wash away unused.