Hemlock mulch

Old 05-28-17, 04:11 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Hemlock mulch

We add new mulch to our flower beds every two years. In the past I have used bulk pine mulch and topped it with an inch or so of Scott's Nature Scape mulch. I am not happy with the Scott's stuff. It fades rapidly and deteriorates quickly. It also gets very crusty after a few weeks.

The guy where I buy my bulk mulch is recommending hemlock mulch. He says the stuff keeps it's color better and doesn't crust over. Of course it's mulch that he sells and it's really pricey at $48/yd. Has anyone had experience with shredded hemlock mulch?

Old 05-28-17, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am not sure about the northern Hemlocks, but we have a devastation taking place in the South with the wooly aldegid. It is a white fungus like "bug" that has almost killed all the hemlocks here. We have one in our front yard that is probably 60 feet high and is magnificent, with the exception of the aldegid. There are in the works, a beetle that eats only the aldegid and moves on and this is our only hope of saving these magnificent trees.

With all that said, I would be reluctant, myself to use a hemlock product for fear of spreading a disease. If you don't have that problem, then that's great. Just wanted to throw that in for information.

Old 05-29-17, 05:39 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I've also never heard of it.
I use a lot Cypress mulch, (I buy it by the pallet load at HD or Lowe's) it does not rot like other mulches do, I've never seen it mold up, naturally repels insects.

Old 05-29-17, 07:49 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Old 05-29-17, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Good link, guyold. Our local college (Young Harris College) has a dedicated building just for the propagation and release of the beetles I mentioned. I had no idea it was as widespread as the link shows. So far the beetle lab is only disseminating the beetles in the National Forest areas, and have not made them available to the public for private use. Lucky for my tree, I guess, we are only 300 yards from the Chattahoochee National Forest, so I am sure we have had some migration to help protect our magnificent tree.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: