Get rid of burdock in lawn

Old 05-31-17, 12:50 PM
Get rid of burdock in lawn

I think I've got Burdock in the front lawn in a couple places. Can I just dig it out? I've also got it in the back yard in places also. There's little sticky burs that flower and big ugly leaves.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-17, 12:58 PM
As I remember the roots go rather deep so you may not get it all. I have them and when one tried to invade my lawn it just gets mowed down and they don't seem to come back after a few cuttings. If they aren't located where you mow I would try some Round-up applied specifically to individual plants. I recently picked up a spray bottle of round-up and did not realize if dispenses as a foam. Worked well to control over spray and hit only the plants I wanted ti kill.

Bud

Old 05-31-17, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
I would spray it with any herbicide containing 2,4-D. The 2,4-D won't harm most grasses but it will kill burdock.

Old 05-31-17, 04:08 PM
I would spray it with any herbicide containing 2,4-D. The 2,4-D won't harm most grasses but it will kill burdock.
Thanks, no herbicides for me thank you!

Old 05-31-17, 05:58 PM
I have small dogs so any areas where they can access I have avoided all herbicides. My choice has been vinegar and salt with a touch of dish detergent. Not the greatest and would definitely require multiple applications on a plant as big as a burdock. The drawback is it ultimately will render that immediate soil infertile.

Removing as much root as possible will slow their return and if you repeat it as you see then starting to come up it may be the same as the ones I mow into extinction.

Best
Bud

Old 05-31-17, 10:29 PM
You might try a propane torch. Do not burn the weed to the ground...just wilt it and if it comes back...do the same thing again. Eventually it will exhaust its self and expire.