Getting rid of lots of healthy clover

Old 06-09-17, 07:29 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Getting rid of lots of healthy clover

I'll go around with a hand sprayer with weed b gon and able to kill lots of different weeds.

But clover?! Their leaves seem to shed liquids / it beads off. And the clover continues to grow better than the lawn (that yes, has red thread / brown spots - if you have thoughts on that, please see my other post asking for red thread advice.

But for clover - how do you deal with it? Am I wrong to feel the clover leaves are hydrophobic, i think the word is - water (and weed killer) just beads off the leaves / clover is hard to kill?

thanks in advance!

Name:  lawn.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 06-09-17, 08:56 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is what I use but granted I only have the occasional small patch. I do tend to up the concentration since I use a hand spray bottle.

Old 06-09-17, 10:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Clover has a pretty extensive root system and is surprisingly difficult to kill. Any product containing 2,4-D will kill it when applied at the proper rate. You can figure on having to come back a month later and do a second application though.

Old 06-09-17, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The same product that controls yellow nut sedge is effective at controlling clover. I use Sedge ender from my local Ace. As mentioned, you need multiple applications to control it. (But you should not exceed the recommended mixture or application frequency). "Kill" really isn't the word to use because you will likely always have to treat for it, it just keeps coming back. Clover is really only a problem when it becomes so thick that it crowds out the grass, so controlling it is the key.

Old 06-09-17, 12:04 PM
B
thanks for the info!

So are you using a liquid? are you seeing what I see - that the liquid just beads up and rolls off the leaves? Like a waxed car?

Is there a way to get it to hold onto the leaves? Is that why its hard to kill? the liquid just rolls off : ) ???

Old 06-09-17, 12:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
For what it's worth, clover fixes nitrogen to the soil so lots of people actual like having it in their lawn and even sow it.

Old 06-09-17, 12:31 PM
B
stickshift: Don't get me started : ) WAY too many times I've been saying I'm done with this (trying to have a lush green lawn) and just say - it's green, even if it's not grass : )

fixing nitrogen - gotta google that. so that means putting air nigrogen into chemicals that other plants can use? I'm putting down fertilizer with nitrogen, so that does the same thing (get digestible nitrogen to the plants?)

Old 06-09-17, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Garden sprayer, spraying a fine mist. Says not to water for 24 hrs.

Old 06-09-17, 01:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Yes, clover puts nitrogen into the soil, just like the fertilizer you are using.

When rotating a field and not planting crops, farmers will often plant clover to improve the soil in the process.

Old 06-11-17, 09:42 AM
V
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The same product that controls yellow nut sedge is effective at controlling clover. I use Sedge ender from my local Ace.
Other than that, can anyone else recommend something?
I have a clover problem scattered all over both the front & the back. It's a small city lot. The clover doesn't show up until well into spring. I don't mind a little, but it is suffocating the grass in many areas.

Anything I tried, it either did nothing or it killed the grass too.

Old 06-11-17, 11:11 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Using this will assist you in getting the product to penetrate the clover.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-097-Tu.../dp/B000PKTPP6

Some say a little bit of dish soap also works, but for me that only produced a lot of suds. Not sure what the proper amount of dish soap per gallon would be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: