What's a good Topsoil to use for lawn

Old 06-08-17, 03:00 PM
What's a good Topsoil to use for lawn

Hi.

I filled in a couple areas the I am reseeding after digging out all the weeds with Scott's Premium Topsoil and one area with Timberline.

Anyways, I read a lot of negative reviews that the Scott's Premium was "garbage", etc. I put it down for 2 of the areas and it looked good to me and was nice and dark, but it did have a lot of mulch and stuff in it. I hope it will work with the reseeding!

What's a good topsoil to use for reseeding areas and stuff? Is the cheap $1something a bag ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Topsoil is difficult to find and must be found locally. Anything that comes in a bag or from a big box home center is manufactured and usually contains compost of some sort, quite often sand and sometimes dirt though not topsoil. Real topsoil is something that is harvested locally and usually purchased by the yard or ton .

Old 06-08-17, 04:36 PM
Topsoil is difficult to find and must be found locally. Anything that comes in a bag or from a big box home center is manufactured and usually contains compost of some sort, quite often sand and sometimes dirt though not topsoil. Real topsoil is something that is harvested locally and usually purchased by the yard or ton .
I find that hard to believe. So "Scott's Premium Topsoil" is not topsoil at all? Won't it all turn into "topsoil" eventually?

Old 06-08-17, 06:23 PM
Not sure what is so hard to believe, because what Pilot Dane said is exactly right; you buy top soil in bulk, locally, not in bags through a chain store. It's really that simple. I'm not going to call anyone's product "garbage", but will say that what you have is better suited for use around say roses or whatever, particularly for those who otherwise have difficult soil. And it's not going to "turn into top soil because it is as simple as it is or it isn't, and this isn't. "But I don't need a ton of the stuff". So you figure about what you do need, a yard being roughly a 3' cube, 3' x 3' x 3', and go from there. If you're looking at something like just one or two yards, you may do better though a local landscaper than a bulk yard, because they typically have smaller trucks and are more apt to have those trucks spread out through your area. You will pay transportation regardless, in addition to the price of the material. So no, it won't exactly be cheap, but it will be top soil.

Old 06-08-17, 08:06 PM
But when patching an area most people just used the bagged stuff I seem to see online. Someone said "Grass will grow in just about anything."

So you don't think I should be using bagged cheap "topsoil" to fix bare patches in my lawn? I don't really need a whole cubic yard.

Old 06-09-17, 03:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The odds are the bagged 'top soil' will work. It's true grass will grow just about anywhere but poor soil and/or other conditions can make it difficult for the grass to thrive. Did you work it into your existing soil any?

Old 06-09-17, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
What everyone else said. Local bulk top soil is usually the stuff scraped off construction sites or other building projects. They don't WANT topsoil under those.

It's sifted and screeded to remove rocks, stones, tree branches, etc.

Bagged topsoil is really more of an amendment to existing soil. Read the components on the bagged stuff. Almost always says things like composted organic products or similar. Bet you can't find one that says just "sifted/screeded soil".

Top soil is composed of many things, dirt, clay, sand, organics, whatever...all mixed together by Mom Nature and good old Planet Earth.

Old 06-09-17, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
I'm working on a bare spot on my lawn and used bagged stuff from HD, but I used the stuff marked for raised beds that from what I can tell has less mulch/compost and more dirt in it or at least it's a much less course material in the end. Some of the other stuff feels like ground pine bark through the side of the bag and they say specifically that it's for adding to existing soil, etc. Seems to be working okay so far.

Old 06-09-17, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
Topsoil is a natural resource that must be sorta mined. It's also a precious resource because it's the top, thin layer of soil that contains worms, bacteria and other micro organisms that make topsoil so good for growing things. After you get down 12-18" you're out of the topsoil zone and the best stuff is in the top 6". Below that you still have dirt but it doesn't have the other goodies that truly makes topsoil.

Because of the volume needed for a national company like Scotts and because a factory and packaging line stay in one place it's not cost effective for them to source and transport real topsoil. For them it's much cheaper, more reliable and controllable to manufacture their "topsoil". Non-topsoil dirt can be found almost anywhere and in large quantities as can sand, clay, wood and other organic waste. They compost the wood and organics and blend it with other ingredients to make something approximating natural topsoil. Over time it can and will become real, natural topsoil. From the bag it contains some micro organisms from the composting process but it has to be out in nature and given time for all the insects and other things to do their magic.

Old 06-10-17, 04:38 AM
Ok, so I guess it doesn't matter that I use the cheap $1.99 bag of "topsoil" because eventually it'll become "real" topsoil. Hehee ok.

Anyways, I've got grass sprouting up all over the place from the EZ seed in the area that I removed all the crabgrass and weeds, tilled, and threw in a bag of el cheapo topsoil and have been watering religiously!

Now if those pesky squirrels will keep off it!!

Old 06-10-17, 06:31 AM
The odds are the bagged 'top soil' will work. It's true grass will grow just about anywhere but poor soil and/or other conditions can make it difficult for the grass to thrive. Did you work it into your existing soil any?
Yes, I tilled and removed all the weeds and stuff and then spread the topsoil. Then I raked it, smoothed it and put down the EZ Seed. It's covered in grass now about 1 1/2 inch tall maybe!