Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Can I repair bald lawn spots in the summer here in Maine?

Old 06-12-17, 12:04 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering now that it's June 12th and it's 90 F today here in Maine if I can continue to patch and repair areas of my lawn with new grass. I water the new areas 3 or 4 times a day, so that's not a problem.

Also, here in Maine (at least southern Maine where I am) we don't get a lot of 90 degree days, mostly we stay in the mid 70's to maybe 80F in the summer.

On June 1st I did a couple areas and they're coming in very nicely, but I have to keep watering them very religiously, especially now that it's in the 90's for the last 3 days or so. I hope there areas survive. I think they will hopefully.

Old 06-12-17, 12:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can plant grass in the summer although it isn't ideal. It will require more water and you'll need to loosely cover it with straw to prevent the sun from burning up the new shoots.

Old 06-12-17, 12:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I would guess you have a cool season grass (or mix thereof) being in Maine. Overseeding them in the middle of the heat of summer is generally not going to work. Best to wait for the heat of summer to break. Around here, that's usually the end of August.

Old 06-12-17, 01:49 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would guess you have a cool season grass (or mix thereof) being in Maine. Overseeding them in the middle of the heat of summer is generally not going to work. Best to wait for the heat of summer to break. Around here, that's usually the end of August.
Thanks, but I'm just digging out weeds and crabgrass and tilling small areas and putting in new grass and then I'm going to cover it with one of those green germination blankets that eventually dissolves into the ground.

Old 06-12-17, 01:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Doesn't matter what you're doing, if the temps are too high, cool season grass seed may not germinate and any that does will have trouble surviving.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: