Ideas for poles to hang patio string lights

Old 06-12-17, 06:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideas for poles to hang patio string lights

Hi - I just had a beautiful 500 sq-foot Pennsylvania bluestone patio built and i'm now ready to attack the lighting for the space. I really like having string lights to give me above lighting that I can easily soften with a dimmer. I can mount one side of the string lights to my home but i'll need 2 poles at the edge of the patio to mount the other side of the lights to.

I've been looking around for some nice wooden poles and can only see posts made for outdoor light fixtures. It would look pretty silly to have these types of poles without any lights and as a mounting point for the string lights.

Anyone come across this before or have suggestions for something that will look nice but also not stand out too much? I'm almost ready to give up and build something custom using some nice wood stained to match my patio furniture...but that will take quite a while...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-17, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
I think any type of pole would work for your application, wood, metal, aluminum, etc. It would just depend on the look you are going for. Wood would be the most versatile as you can dress them up as little or as much as you want. You could just simply sink some pressure treated 4x4 posts into the ground and attach whatever hardware to that you need to support your light strings. (Eye hook/bolts, Stainless cables, etc) You could even tip them away from the house at a slight angle to add "drama".

Old 06-12-17, 07:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How high do you want the strings?

First thought is a one foot by one foot box however high made of 2x2s at each corners covered in strips of free made lattice with a pyramid roof on top. Thing of them as one foot square lattice towers with a decorative roof on top. Wood lattice could be stained to match the furniture. They might not hold up for more than a couple of seasons but would be cheap and quick to make.

Or how about ornamental iron corner posts.

Name:  ornamental-iron-columns-from-watson-steel-and-iron.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  44.1 KB

Maybe extend the legs with pipes in the ground. I'll admit not sure how well they will stand up with no support at the top but I have one in my backyard the seems to stand up okay partly buried. Galvanized pipe could be driven in and the posts dropped in. about six inches of soil could be removed so they could be bolted then the bolts and pipe covered with soil.

Or fiberglass porch columns slipped over a treated post in the ground.

Name:  PCATPTUTU.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  5.0 KB Name:  fluted-fiberglass-columns-98.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  7.6 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 06-12-17 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-13-17, 06:47 AM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Ideas

Difficult to offer exterior design ideas with seeing what you have to work with. Post some photos of the house and patio.

Old 06-13-17, 07:29 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts