Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

yet another retaining wall question (odd location)

Old 06-16-17, 12:49 PM

I have a deck that sticks out adjacent to a shallow slope. Not only does that ground slope down as the deck goes out, but the ground under the deck itself is even lower--I wish I could get a lot of fill in there, but doing so would be a nightmare.

So, I have a decent drop-off in the ground where it goes under the deck. I'd like to shore this up a bit, especially so I can build up the ground a bit and cover over an ugly opening.

A picture of the area is below. The main spot that needs a retaining wall is between 9-11 feet long, depending on how I approach it. The tricky part is that I basically need the wall just under a deck, which makes certain steps (e.g., hammering in rebar) all but impossible.

One thought I had was to get 6x6s and attach several to the two pilings you can see in the picture, which are about 9' apart, using them as a brace. I don't need much height, a foot at most. I'd probably need another piece angling to the left, to raise up that end, too.

FWIW, I have a load of those hunks of concrete you can see in the shot (leftover from an old driveway demolition, years ago); I was wondering if I could cement those together into a wall.

Looks don't matter here--no one's really ever going to see the wall. How should I approach this?

Name:  deck_opening.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  50.5 KB

Last edited by vanderdecker; 06-16-17 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links