Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

New house. Offline Sprinkler system. No money. What next?

Old 06-19-17, 05:29 AM

Howdy folks! I just bought my first house. Built in 1992. The previous owners took the sprinkler system off line and I'm looking to see how far I can get (without contacting a professional) in getting back online. Would love to hear any and all suggestions. I am attaching a picture of the capped pipe and spigot setup. What do I do next?

I think I have to remove the cap on the pipe, but I've never done such a thing. It doesn't seem to screw off and I have read online that it is most likely glued on. I was thinking of using a hacksaw. Good idea? How do I cut it?

Once I do get it off, what do I do next to get the water to the system?

Many thanks in advance.

Name:  IMG_0833.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  49.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-17, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess the white stub I see is sprinkler? Yes you would cut cap off but before you do that it looks like it was fed from the lower pipe fitting. You will have to find out if that is the main feed to house and how to shut it off. Dig up white fitting and cut off (hacksaw will work) Take to HD or Lowes and get a fitting that fits. See if they can make a setup to connect to hose. That way you can check out sprinklers without messing with house plumbing. sounds confusing butt maybe some body can say better.

Old 06-19-17, 01:33 PM
Yo! Thank you so much for your input. Gonna try to do that today. I'm sure I will have more questions later. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-19-17, 03:47 PM
So I hacked off the top and was met with the stench of 40,000 years. Smelled like ancient bog water. Just out of curiosity, I stuck the hose into the pipe, and let the water run for about 2 minutes and nothing happened. The water went down into the system but did not comeback out through the sprinklers nor did it errupt out of the newly sawed pipe mouth. I'm assuming it takes a while to fill the network of pipes under the ground, or there is a terrible leak somewhere. Did I mention I have literally zero understanding of sprinkler systems?

I agree that the pipe jutting out of the bottom of the main pipe that leads to the hose spigot might have been where the water was fed into the system. I wrapped wrench around the bolt-plug at the tip of that pipe, but with all my strength I could not get it to budge. Any advice?

Also, could the existence of the second spigot also be the initial source of water for the sprinkler system? Can a simple spigot produce enough water pressure to push water out of the sprinkler heads? I can't fathom why the house has 2 hose spigots next to one another? The only theory is that one was for the sprinkler. Is that common?

Once that is out, I imagine the next step will be to connect the pipe to the newly sawed PVC pipe. Not sure at all how to do that, but I am hoping somebody at OSH can help me. I'm eager for any and all advice here.

Name:  IMG_0839.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  49.2 KB

Old 06-19-17, 03:51 PM
Must be city water, I suspect if that is sprinkler line that may have been where the back flow preventer was.

I hate to say this but you might want to consider getting somebody out there to see what you have. You could be spending money and time and have something that is a complete waste of time!

Old 06-19-17, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Looks illegal. Sprinklers and faucets need back flow preventers to avoid contamination of drinking water.

Old 06-19-17, 03:58 PM
So I need something called a backflow preventer? Good to know! I probably will end up caving and calling somebody but I am eager to see how far I can get before that.

Old 06-20-17, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to find out where the water is going. May have to run water till you find a wet spot in yard; Do you know where any sprinkler heads are? Look for the closest one to you and take that head off and see if any water there. You may hear the water running there. Might help if you filled out rest of profile so we know what part of country you are in.

Old 06-20-17, 10:57 AM
The best advice has been given for this question. You can get a PVC fitting that is the same diameter as that pipe in the ground to the sprinkler system. The PVC fitting will need to have threading or an adapter that will accept a garden hose. Once that is all fabricated and solvent glued together to the line for the sprinkler system you should be able to attach a garden hose and see where the water comes out. Will a garden hose run the sprinkler system? I'm not certain it could but it would at least let you know a baseline of what you are working with.

On a deeper level, I'm sure you've asked yourself why that sprinkler system was disconnected and capped off. There are many reasons for disconnecting a system including but not limited to a broken or split line, malfunctioning sprinkler heads, broken backflow preventer, and probably the #1 reason is the cost of maintaining an irrigation system.

It's fun to figure out what you have so I say go for it with the least expensive DIY option of fabricating a connector to that line and attaching a garden hose to prime the system. At least you will know what you have and what you may be faced with.

If you do end up wanting an irrigation system, there are a lot of factors around it that may turn you off to it. The backflow preventer device and yearly inspection is usually mandatory by the water company. Many places require that the irrigation system is purged every winter of all water in the lines. Irrigation heads will need maintenance. The valves controlling zones will also need maintenance. Also the cost of water can be a real shocker if the irrigation system is used frequently. These are all factors that I've considered when thinking of having the irrigation system at my house disconnected from the water main.