Is summer a good time for Milorganite?

Old 07-08-17, 02:48 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is summer a good time for Milorganite?

It's been more or less in the 80's daily here in Southern Maine so far. I'm also seeding my front lawn in many sections. Should I hold off on Milorganite till fall?

Is Milorganite good?

Old 07-08-17, 03:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Milorganite is rather mild at 5-4-0 so you should be safe in Maine applying it during summer or almost any time. I prefer a balanced fertilizer during summer that also contains potassium (the last number) but Milorganite is mild enough that 5-4-0 should be OK.

Old 07-08-17, 03:49 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Milorganite isn't much of a fertilizer; it's just dehydrated sewage sludge from the Milwaukee County Sewage Treatment facility, so it's a good soil builder, and you can feel comfortable using it year round.

It contains no more than 6% nitrogen, and only about 2% phosphorus so it's unlikely to burn any plants in your lawn or garden; but it may contain some heavy metals as they have no control over what Milwaukee Residents flush down their toilets.

I'm from Milwaukee, and 60 years ago, we used to take Grade School "field trips" to facilities like the Sewage Treatment Plant and the Water Filtration Facility, so I was up close and personal with Milorganite long enough to make a permanent impression on my young mind.

I remember it well, and I'm glad to see that their marketing department has been so successful in distributing this bi-product out and away from the point of origin. Back then, Milwaukee County was kind of avant–garde in the sewage disposal business, and they keep on doing it; the supply is almost endless..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: