Can I cut grass after seeding 3 weeks ago?

Old 06-26-17, 07:23 PM
Can I cut grass after seeding 3 weeks ago?

It's got a lot of crappy crabgrass coming up also in the 9x6 ft section I did and I don't want the crabgrass to go to seed. Can I cut my new grass after only 3 weeks?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-17, 02:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes but don't cut it too short.

Old 06-27-17, 05:04 AM
You don't say how tall your new grass is and I assume grass is not yet 3" or higher. If that's the situation I'd be looking for alternatives.

I see two issues. First, grass germinates and grows at varying speeds so some grass may only be in the early stages of germination after 3 weeks. Second, young grass needs time to develop root structures and to strengthen and 3 weeks may not be long enough. All this means you may be damaging your new grass in order to cut the crabgrass.

Frankly, on a 9'X6' section I think you'd be better off trimming the crabgrass by hand (with shears) once or twice and leaving the new grass alone unless the new grass is already 3". Once it gets above 3" set your mower for 2 1/2" or higher and mow away.

Beyond that, though, crabgrass spreads which could make it difficult for your new grass to develop properly and cutting with a mower won't impact this problem. Cutting the crabgrass by hand would allow you to cut back the spreading weed, as well.

Also, make certain your mower is sharp and don't mow when the grass is wet or damp.

Old 06-27-17, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
You'll drive yourself crazy trying to remove or control crabgrass by hand. Even if you can cut the grass in that patch before it goes to seed you still have to worry about seed from neighboring areas getting blown in.

Old 06-27-17, 05:23 PM
It's got a lot of crappy crabgrass coming up also in the 9x6 ft section I did and I don't want the crabgrass to go to seed.
New seed, probably rye, looks like crab grass but will die off.

Old 06-28-17, 03:55 AM
New seed, probably rye, looks like crab grass but will die off.
No, it's crab grass.

see my pic here
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/la...g-company.html

Old 06-28-17, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
IMO, rye and crab grass look nothing alike.

Old 06-28-17, 08:36 AM
To someone who knows I agree, a newbie might just assume.

Here is a neat product, never seen. Fertilizer for the new grass, inhibitor for the crabgrass, what more can you ask for!

Sow grass seed & fight crabgrass at the same time • GreenView Fertilizer

Old 06-28-17, 09:12 AM
Is that crabgrass in my picture?

Old 06-28-17, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Certainly looks like a weed grass to me.

Old 06-28-17, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
There are many sites on the web that show the specifics for identifying crabgrass. It's more difficult with young shoots but as they grow it becomes more obvious.

Old 06-28-17, 11:43 PM
When do I have to add more fertilizer to this new grass? The EZ seed had starter fertilizer in it? Should I add more starter fertilizer?

Old 06-29-17, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
What did the package for the EZ seed recommend? In general I do not fertilize during the hottest part of summer and would only fertilize during July and August if the grass shows signs of nutrient deficiency. Otherwise for you in Maine I'd plan on September. If you can't resist the urge to fertilize sooner I would NOT use a high nitrogen fertilizer. Better would be something more balanced like a light application of 10-10-10.

Old 06-29-17, 05:16 PM
What did the package for the EZ seed recommend? In general I do not fertilize during the hottest part of summer and would only fertilize during July and August if the grass shows signs of nutrient deficiency. Otherwise for you in Maine I'd plan on September. If you can't resist the urge to fertilize sooner I would NOT use a high nitrogen fertilizer. Better would be something more balanced like a light application of 10-10-10.
It didn't say anything on the bottle that I can see about fertilizing again.

By the way. If I just throw down seed on dirt and water would grass grow without fertilizer?

Old 06-30-17, 02:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Grass should grow without fertilizer although a lot depends on your soil. Personally I doubt I'd fertilize again before fall. The main thing is to make sure the young grass gets enough water. As the grass establishes itself you'd back off on the watering. And no light watering as you want to encourage the roots to go deep.

Old 07-08-17, 01:12 AM
How can I tell if I'm "watering deep" on a 9x6 foot area that I seeded? I'm using a water hose with the "sprinkler" selection and doing it by hand.

Old 07-08-17, 03:34 AM
Group Moderator
Dig a hole.

There are core sampling tools that will pull a 1/2" diameter plug but I just use a shovel. I step on the shovel to push the blade down deep. Then pull or push on the handle to open a crack and remove the shovel. Now you've got a narrow hole down 6-9" where you can see or stick your finger. Then step on it close the slit.